Greta Garbo quotes
- From the movie: Anna Christie
“Gimme a whisky, ginger ale on the side, and don't be stingy, baby!”
“- Anna Karenina: I didn't know you were going back to St. Petersburg so soon. Why this change of plan?
- Count Vronsky: Why? To be where you are.”
“My talent falls within definite limits. I'm not a versatile actress.”
“- Pere Mathieu - Cafe Owner: Madame, if you don't think about food, what do you think about?
- Nina Ivanovna Yakushova aka Ninotchka: The future of the common people.
- Pere Mathieu - Cafe Owner: That's also a question of food.”
“If only those who dream about Hollywood knew how difficult it all is.”
- La trovi in Gossip
“Oh, your honor! Your selfishness! Your hypocrisy! Your egotism! You've never considered me as a human being. Your social position and... your reputation.”
“- Nina Ivanovna Yakushova aka Ninotchka: Must you flirt?
- Count Leon d'Algout: Well, I don't have to, but I find it natural.”
“- Nina Ivanovna Yakushova aka Ninotchka: It's funny to look back. I was brought up on goat's milk. I had a ration of vodka in the army, and now champagne.
- Count Leon d'Algout: From goats to grapes. That's drinking in the right direction.”
“Is there anything better than to be longing for something, when you know it is within reach?”
“- Nina Ivanovna Yakushova aka Ninotchka: We don't have men like you in my country.
- Count Leon d'Algout: Thank you.
- Nina Ivanovna Yakushova aka Ninotchka: That is why I believe in the future of my country.”
“- Nina Ivanovna Yakushova aka Ninotchka: What have you done for mankind?
- Count Leon d'Algout: Not so much for mankind... for womankind, my record isn't quite so bleak.”
- From the movie: Anna Christie
“I'll try anything once.”
“- Count Vronsky: I want my comrades and my career! And love isn't everything.
- Anna Karenina: One only says that when love is over.”
“I'm afraid of nothing except being bored.”
- La trovi in Actors' Love Affairs
“I'm a woman who's unfaithful to a million men.”
“- Count Leon d'Algout: What kind of a girl are you, anyway?
- Nina Ivanovna Yakushova aka Ninotchka: Just what you see. A tiny cog in the great wheel of evolution.
- Count Leon d'Algout: You're the most adorable cog I've ever seen.”
“- Count Vronsky: Our meetings are so brief, the dance also.
- Anna Karenina: But our reunions are so frequent.”
“- Anna Karenina: I feel pain. I feel tears.
- Count Vronsky: Why?
- Anna Karenina: Because I'm so happy. Not to think, only to live, only to feel.”
“- Count Leon D'Algout: Do you like me just a little bit?
- Nina Ivanovna Yakushova aka Ninotchka: Your general appearance is not distasteful.”
“How can such a civilization survive which permits their women to put things like that on their heads?”
“- Count Leon d'Algout: Well, just smile.
- Nina Ivanovna Yakushova aka Ninotchka: At what?
- Count Leon d'Algout: At anything. At the whole ridiculous spectacle of life. At people being so serious, taking themselves pompously, exaggerating their own importance. If you can't think of anything else to laugh at, you can laugh at you and me.”
“- Anna Karenina: We'll be punished.
- Count Vronsky: Punished?
- Anna Karenina: For being so happy.”