John Wayne quotes
“- Martin: I hope you die!
- Ethan: That'll be the day.”
“Figure a man's only good for one oath at a time; I took mine to the Confederate States of America.”
“The Sioux once raided into Apache territory. Old-timers told me you can follow the line of their retreat by the bones of their dead.”
“- Captain York: Were you born in Philadelphia?
- Philadelphia Thursday: No, Pomfret, Connecticut. I was named after my mother.
- Captain York: Oh, she was born in Philadelphia?
- Philadelphia Thursday: No, Pawtucket, Rhode Island. She was named after grandmother. Grandmother was the first Philadelphia in our family.
- 2nd Lt. Michael O'Rourke:...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Captain York: I'm Captain Yorke, sir. I bid you welcome, General Thursday.
- Lt. Col. Owen Thursday: I'm not a general, Captain. A man is what he's paid for. I'm paid in the rank of Lt. Colonel.
- Captain York: I'd remembered you as a general from the war, sir.”
“There's always been one boss on a picture, the director. I haven't always agreed with him, but I've paid attention.”
“I play John Wayne in every part regardless of the character, and I've been doing okay, haven't I?”
“Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway.”
“Talk low talk slow and don't talk too much.”
“- Woody Jason: Pull her up!
- Capt. Jim Gordon: Did you know I used to drive a roller coaster?”
“Looking back is a bad habit.”
“Healthy, lusty sex is wonderful.”
“I'm the stuff men are made of.”
“- Drago: Take it easy, boss, he's just a little excited, that's all.
- George Washington 'G.W.' McLintock: I know, I know. I'm gonna use good judgement. I haven't lost my temper in forty years, but pilgrim you caused a lot of trouble this morning, might have got somebody killed... and somebody oughta belt you in the mouth. But I won't, I won't....” (continue)(continue reading)
“Touch that gun, and I'll kill you!”
“- Miss Elizabeth Martin: I saw you hit that poor man!
- Rocklin: Yes, madam, just as hard as I could.”
“It takes a good fire to burn down the weeds... to let the flowers grow.”
“A gun that's unloaded and cocked ain't good for nothing.”
“A friend of mine told me to shoot first and ask questions later. I was going to ask him why, but I had to shoot him.”