Judy Garland quotes
“Always be a 1st-rate version of yourself, instead of a 2nd-rate version of somebody else.”
“The main thing is, Tootie, that we're all going to be together, just like we've always been. That's what really counts. We could be happy anywhere as long as we're together.”
“For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul.”
- La trovi in Gossip
“I never looked through a keyhole without finding someone was looking back.”
“There's no place like home.”
“You're the most deceitful, horrible, sinful creature I ever saw, and I don't ever want to have anything to do with you again.”
“- Rose Smith: Why are we eating early?
- Esther Smith: You certainly don't want the whole family sitting there drinking in every word while a man proposes to you long-distance.”
“You've just ruined Rose's chance to get married, that's all. That was Warren Sheffield calling long-distance to propose.”
“Meeting him across the lawn for the first time would be so ordinary. I don't want to be just introduced to him. I want it to be something strange and romantic and something I'll always remember.”
“New York is a wonderful town. Everybody dreams about going there, but we're luckier than lots of families because we're really going. Wait till you see the nice new home we're going to have, and the loads and loads of new friends we're going to make.”
- "Tootie" Smith: He tried to kill me...
- Esther Smith: It was the streetcar. I think it hit her.
- "Tootie" Smith: No, it wasn't a streetcar. It was John Truett. He tried to kill me.
“Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of
“- Dorothy: How do you talk if you don't have a brain?
- The Scarecrow: Well, some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't they?”
- From the movie: Little Nellie Kelly
“- Nellie Kelly: There's nothing like a darn good cry, is there?
- Michael Noonan: There's whiskey.”
“Well, Papa, if losing a case depresses you so, why don't you quit practicing law and go into another line of business?”
“Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more.
[after a pause] We must be over the rainbow!”
“- Angry Apple Tree: Well, how would you like to have someone come along and pick something off of you?
- Dorothy: Oh dear! I keep forgetting I'm not in Kansas!”