Lauren Bacall quotes
“- Rose Morgan: Why don't you get the coffee?
- Hannah Morgan: I've buried a husband, I've raised two daughters. I've made my coffee.”
“I figure if I have my health, can pay the rent and I have my friends, I call it 'content'.”
“Time flies even when you're not having fun.”
“- Vivian: Do you always think you can handle people like, uh, trained seals?
- Marlowe: Uh-huh. I usually get away with it too.
- Vivian: How nice for you.”
“- Vivian: You go too far, Marlowe.
- Marlowe: Those are harsh words to throw at a man, especially when he's walking out of your bedroom.”
“- Vivian: Why did you have to go on?
- Marlowe: Too many people told me to stop.”
“- Vivian: I don't like your manners!
- Marlowe: I'm not crazy about yours. I didn't ask to see you. I don't mind if you don't like my manners. I don't like 'em myself. They are pretty bad. I grieve over them long winter evenings, and I don't mind your ritzing me, or drinking your lunch out of a bottle. But don't waste your time trying to...” (continue)(continue reading)
“I'll miss Hollywood. Of the twenty friends I thought I had, I'll miss the six I really had.”
“They [the Hollywood studios] are into the flavor of the month, and that's the reality you have to live with as an actress. Nothing you can do about it.”
“The best actors don't seem to live in California any more. When I went there, everyone lived in LA. Now, they don't. Only the rocks stars and MTV people do. I don't want to live there and become an orange.”
“Imagination is the highest kite one can fly.”
- Cricket: Hey Slim, are you still happy?
- Marie "Slim" Browning: What do you think?
“I am not a has-been. I am a will be.”
“A man's illness is his private territory and, no matter how much he loves you and how close you are, you stay an outsider. You are healthy.”
“- Sally Ross: Look, how long have we been together?
- Belle Goldman: Seven years. I must be a masochist.
- Sally Ross: And I'm a spoiled bitch.
- Belle Goldman: One of the greatest.”
. Harry Morgan: What made you so mad?
- Marie "Slim" Browning: I've been mad ever since I met you.
- Harry Morgan: Most people are.
“You know Steve, you're not very hard to figure, only at times. Sometimes I know exactly what you're going to say. Most of the time. The other times... the other times, you're just a stinker.”
“I think your whole life shows in your face and you should be
proud of that.”
“- Sylvia: I thought it might be enchanting to have the bridesmaids in little jodhpurs and carrying riding crops festumed with baby's breath.
- Lillian Brooks: That could be enchanting. In a stable.”
“Don't do that with the liquor, Russ. It's so... George Bush.”
“Memory is a very unreliable organ.”