Marlene Dietrich quotes
“Think twice before burdening a friend with a secret.”
“It's the friends you can call up at four a.m. that matter.”
“Gentleman. A man who buys two of the same morning paper from the doorman of his favorite nightclub when he leaves with his girl.”
“Once a woman has forgiven her man, she must not reheat his sins for breakfast.”
“In America sex is an obsession, in other parts of the world it is a fact.”
“I love quotations because it is a joy to find thoughts one might have, beautifully expressed with much authority by someone recognized wiser than oneself.”
“Most women set out to try to change a man, and when they have changed him they do not like him.”
“- Quinlan: Come on, read my future for me.
- Tanya: You haven't got any.
- Quinlan: Hmm? What do you mean?
- Tanya: Your future's all used up.”
“- Sir Wilfrid: Your husband loves you very much, does he not?
- Christine Vole: Leonard? He worships the ground I walk on.
- Sir Wilfrid: And you?
- Christine Vole: You want to know too much. Auf wiedersehen, gentlemen.”
“- Christine Vole: You think Mrs. French looked upon Leonard as a son? Or a nephew?
- Brogan-Moore: I do. An entirely natural and understandable relationship.
- Christine Vole: What hypocrites you are in this country.”
“- Saloon Hostess: Never be in a hurry. You'll miss the best parts in life.
- Phileas Fogg: Madam, you don't understand. I'm looking for my man.
- Saloon Hostess: So am I.”
“The relationship between the make-up man and the film actor is that of accomplices in crime.”
“All the time I was in Berlin Garbo was my favorite. I only had Sunday afternoon free; I was playing, rehearsing all the other time. So on Sunday afternoons I used to go to see Garbo's pictures. I followed them from one theater to another; maybe sometimes I saw one five or six times. And when I came to America I thought perhaps I will meet her. I...” (continue)(continue reading)
“You know he would rather be cheated by me than married to you.”
“I love quotations because it is a joy to find thoughts one might
have, beautifully expressed with much authority by someone
recognized wiser than oneself.”
“Once a woman has forgiven a man, she must not reheat his sins for
“The average man is more interested in a woman who is interested
in him than he is in a woman with beautiful legs.”
“- District Officer: There've been a half a dozen complaints since you came to that cafe.
- Bijou: A half-dozen! Why not fifty? I'm surprised.”
“- Reverend Mr. Carmichael: All I can suggest is that you get down on your knees and pray.
- Shanghai Lily: I think that you're right, if God is still on speaking terms with me.”
“- Frenchy: Get out before I kill you!
- Tom Destry Jr.: You mean you haven't been tryin'?”
“Tomorrow is another day.”