Meryl Streep quotes
“- Karen: What's wrong with marriage anyway?
- Denys: Have you ever seen one you admire?
- Karen: Yes, I have, many. Belfield's, for one.
- Denys: He sent her home for the rains in 1910. Didn't tell her they were over until 1913.”
“In this system, our system, the slaves are unaware, both of their status and of their masters, who exist in a world apart, and where the shackles are hidden amidst reams of unreachable legalese. It is a result of massive, pervasive corruption of the legalprofession. When it takes a whistle blower to sound the alarm, it is cause for even greater...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Ben Bradlee: We have to be the check on their power. If we don't hold them accountable, then, my God, who will?
- Kay Graham: Well, I've never smoked a cigar. And I have no problem holding Lyndon or Jack or Bob or any of them accountable. We can't hold them accountable if we don't have a newspaper.”
“If I know a song of Africa, of the giraffe and the African new moon lying on her back, of the plows in the fields and the sweaty faces of the coffee pickers, does Africa know a song of me? Will the air over the plain quiver with a color that I have had on, or the children invent a game in which my name is, or the full moon throw a shadow over...” (continue)(continue reading)
“That is what we do. That is what people do. They stay alive for each other.”
“Washington always has to have a hero.”
“You cannot go around telling people that there is a 100% chance that they're gonna die.”
“St Clair Bayfield-You are not strong enough, Bunny. What if it kills you?
Florence Foster Jenkins-Then I shall die happy.”
“People may say I couldn't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing.”
“He took my little tiny blueberry heart and he just squished it.”
“We aren’t monsters. We’re cultural disrupters.”
“It's possible to be right and foolish.”
“I may not always be right, but I am never wrong.”
“Thank you, Lord, thank you. Thank you for everything. I hate to ask this, but I was just wondering when exactly the meek will be inheriting the Earth?”
“My decision stands, and I'm going to bed.”
“- Lisle Von Rhoman: How old would you guess I am? C'mon, don't try to flatter me.
- Madeline Ashton: Thirty-eight?
[Lisle Von Rhoman glares at her]
- Madeline Ashton: Twenty-eight... no, twenty-three.”
“- Ted Kramer: What's up? Tell me. What? What's the matter?
- Joanna Kramer: I woke up this morning, kept thinking about Billy and I was thinking about him waking up in his room with his little clouds all around that I painted and I thought I should have painted clouds downtown because then he would think that he was waking up at home. I came...” (continue)(continue reading)
“Do you know what my husband said about the news? He called it the first rough draft of history.”
“- Ben Bradlee: Can I ask you a hypothetical question?
- Kay Graham: Oh, dear. I don't like hypothetical questions.
- Ben Bradlee: Well, I don't think you're gonna like the real one, either.”