Mary Tyler Moore quotes
“There's one beneficial effect of going to Moscow. You come home waving the American flag with all your might.”
“Behind every beautiful fur, there is a story. It is a bloody, barbaric story.”
“Pain nourishes courage. You can't be brave if you've only had wonderful things happen to you.”
- Conrad "Con" Jarrett: You tell her to stop it! You never tell her a goddamn thing! And I know why she never came to the hospital because she was too busy going to goddamn Spain and goddamn Portugal! Why should she care if I'm hung up by the balls out there!
- Beth Jarrett: Maybe this is how they sit around and talk at the hospital, but we're... (continue)(continue reading)
- Conrad "Con" Jarrett: I made a 74 on a trig quiz.
- Beth Jarrett: Oh really? Gosh I was awful at trig.
- Conrad "Con" Jarrett: Oh. Really? You took trig?
- Beth Jarrett: No... wait a minute... ha, did I take trig? Huh... anyway, I bought you two shirts, they're on your bed.
“I have an anger in me that I carry from my childhood experiences - I expect a lot of myself and I'm not too kind to myself.”
“Worrying is a necessary part of life.”
“I'm not an actress who can create a character. I play me.”
“Chronic disease like a troublesome relative is something you can learn to manage but never quite escape.”
- Calvin "Cal" Jarrett: You are beautiful. And you are unpredictable. But you're so cautious. You're determined, Beth; but you know something? You're not strong. And I don't know if you're really giving. Tell me something. Do you love me? You really love me?
- Beth Jarrett: I feel the way I've always felt about you.
“Sometimes you have to get to know someone really well to realize you're really strangers.”
“You can't be brave if you've only had wonderful things happen to you.”
- Calvin "Cal" Jarrett: I just want to talk about something I always remembered.
- Beth Jarrett: Why do you want to remind me?
- Calvin "Cal" Jarrett: Because I've always wondered, in some needling way, what it mattered what I wore. I was crazy that day. We were going to our son's funeral and you were worried about what I wore on my feet. I'm... (continue)(continue reading)
“Why does he have to do the roots thing? Aren't we good enough parents?”
“- Sandy Dunlap: Who gave you those shoes?
- Holly Davis: A friend... an old friend.
- Sandy Dunlap: Well, she has terrific taste.”
“You can't be brave if you've only had wonderful things happen to
- Calvin "Cal" Jarrett: Connie! Your mother did come to the hospital, you know she did, she had the flu and couldn't come inside but she came to the hospital!
- Conrad "Con" Jarrett: She never would have had any flu if Buck was in the hospital, she would have come if Buck was in the hospital!
- Beth Jarrett: Buck never would have been in the... (continue)(continue reading)
“- Ward: Beth, we don't want anything from you; Audrey, Cal, Connie and Me, we just want you to be happy.
- Beth Jarrett: Happy! Ward, you tell me the definition of happy. But first you better make sure your kids are good and safe, that they haven't fallen of a horse, been hit by a car, or drown in that swimming pool you're so proud of!
- Audrey:...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Pearl Coplin: I told you to watch out for that car!
- Ed Coplin: He was in my blind-spot.
- Pearl Coplin: You could fit the whole state of Wisconsin in your blind-spot.”
- Beth Jarrett: How do I hurt you? By embarrassing you in front of a friend? "Poor Beth, she has no idea what her son is up to, he lies and she believes every word of it".
- Conrad "Con" Jarrett: I didn't lie!
- Beth Jarrett: You did! You lied every time you came into this house at 6.30! If its starting all over again, the lying, the covering up... (continue)(continue reading)
- Beth Jarrett: I want this to be a nice Christmas.
- Calvin "Cal" Jarrett: I do too. I want all of them to be nice Christmases.