Peter Alexander Ustinov quotes
“Courage is often lack of insight, while cowardice is based pretty often on good information.”
“It is our responsibilities, not ourselves, that we should take seriously.”
“Beliefs are what divide people. Doubt unites them.”
“The only reason I made a commercial for American Express was to pay for my American Express bill.”
“I was irrevocably betrothed to laughter, the sound of which has always seemed to me to be the most civilized music in the world.”
“Children are the only form of immortality that we can be sure of.”
- From the movie: The Great Muppet Caper
“- Truck Driver: What are you doing here?
- Oscar the Grouch: A very brief cameo.
- Truck Driver: Me too.”
- From the movie: Stiff Upper Lips
“Let it be recorded that the condemned pleaded not guilty.”
- From the movie: Death on the Nile
“- Jacqueline De Bellefort: Simon was mine and he loved me, then she came along and... sometimes, I just want to put this gun right against her head, and ever so gently, pull the trigger. When I hear that sound more and more...
- Hercule Poirot: I know how you feel. We all feel like that at times. However, I must warn you, mademoiselle: Do not...” (continue)(continue reading)
“People who reach the top of the tree are only those who haven't got the qualifications to detain them at the bottom.”
“The social sciences were for all those who had not yet decided what to do with their lives, and for all those whose premature frustrations led them into the sterile alleys of confrontation.”
“If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.”
- From the movie: Lorenzo's Oil
“- Augusto Odone: Dr. Nikolias, what about the other boys, what results are you seeing in them?
- Professor Nikolias: As with Lorenzo it's too early to tell. We need this study to run for the full six months.
- Augusto Odone: And that would tell you what is obvious right now? That avoiding apple skins and pizza has no effect on this brutal disease?”
“Contrary to general belief, I do not believe that friends are necessarily the people you like best, they are merely the people who got there first.”
“If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would
be that of an expert saying it can't be done.”
“Intelligent or not, we all make mistakes and perhaps the
intelligentmistakes are the worst, because so much careful
thought has gone into them.”
“It is youth that has discovered love as a weapon.”
“Laughter would be bereaved if snobbery died.”
“Parents are the bone on which children sharpen their teeth.”
“The habit of religion is oppressive, an easy way out of thought.”