Ralph David Richardson quotes
“Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people from coughing.”
“- Wally: Do you mean you knew what was happening to us all the time?
- Supreme Being: Well, of course. I am the Supreme Being, I'm not entirely dim.”
“Do be careful! Don't lose any of that stuff. That's concentrated evil. One drop of that could turn you all into hermit crabs.”
“- Dr. Austin Sloper: Do you remember her mother? Her mother who had so much grace and gaiety. This is her child.
- Elizabeth Almond: Austin, no child could compete with this image you have of her mother.
- Dr. Austin Sloper: You're not entitled to say that. Only I know what I lost when she died and what I got in her place.”
“- Dr. Austin Sloper: You have found a tongue at last, Catherine. 'Tis only to say such terrible things to me.
- Catherine Sloper: Yes. This is a field where you will not compare me to my mother.”
“In music, the punctuation is absolutely strict, the bars and rests are absolutely defined. But our punctuation cannot be quite strict, because we have to relate it to the audience.”
“Acting is the ability to dream on cue.”
“The most precious things in speech are pauses.”
“- Supreme Being: I should do something very extroverted and vengeful to you. Honestly, I'm too tired. So, I think I'll transfer you to the undergrowth department, brackens, more shrubs, that sort of thing... with a 19% cut in salary, backdated to the beginning of time.
- Randall: Oh, thank you, sir.
- Supreme Being: Yes, well, I am the nice one.”
“If we want to save our skins, we've got to fight!”
“Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people from
“Dead? No excuse for laying off work.”
“- Kevin: Why does there have to be evil?
- Supreme Being: I think it has something to do with free will.”
“- Baron von Richter: David, we are not asking for anything. Europe is ours, we can walk into Britain whenever we like.
- Sir David Kelly: If you think we're going to gamble on Herr Hitler's guarantees, you're making a grave mistake. All those years in England seems to have left you none the wiser. We're not easily frightened. Also we know how...” (continue)(continue reading)
“Back to creation. We mustn't waste any more time. They'll think I've lost control again and put it all down to evolution.”