“Imitation of Life” quotes(1959)
Plot – Lora Meredith is a widow and lives with her child Susy. Despite the financial straits, she welcomes a black woman, Emy Johnson, and her little girl, Sarah Jane. Lora wants to be a theater actress and Steve, a young unemployed photographer, falls in love with her and proposes. A playwright gives Lora a role and she begins a successful career, while Emy stays at home. Sara Jane's skin is almost white and she doesn't like to be considered a black girl. She finds refuge in an unreal world, while Lora begins to suffer from loneliness and Susy feels neglected too.
All actors – Lana Turner, John Gavin, Sandra Dee, Susan Kohner, Robert Alda, Dan O'Herlihy, Juanita Moore, Karin Dicker, Terry Burnham, John Vivyan, Lee Goodman, Ann Robinson, Troy Donahue, Sandra Gould, David Tomack, Joel Fluellen, Jack Weston, Billy House, Maida Severn, Than Wyenn, Peg Shirley, Mahalia Jackson, Frank Baker, Alex Ball, George Barrows, Chuckie Bradley, Paul Bradley, Chet Brandenburg, Teddy Buckner, George Calliga, Steve Carruthers, Richard Collier, Paul Cristo, Joe Darensbourg, Robert Darin, Mike De Lay, Elinor Donahue, Adolf Eichmann, Cicely Evans, Myrna Fahey, Bess Flowers, George Ford, Paul Gustine, Tedd Hadfield, Shep Houghton, Lynne Hunter, Nelson Leigh, Paul Levitt, Leota Lorraine, John Marlowe, John McNamara, Joseph Mell, Forbes Murray, Eddie Parker, Waclaw Rekwart, Cosmo Sardo, Jeffrey Sayre, Eddie Smith, Cap Somers, Norman Stevans, Ted Thorpe, Jeanne Westmore, Napoleon Whitingshow all
“Imitation of Life” Quotes 5 quotes
“I'm going up and up and up - and nobody's going to pull me down!”
“- Steve: Your bones...
- Lora Meredith: What about my bones?
- Steve: They're perfect. My camera could easily have a love affair with you.”
“- Lora Meredith: It never occurred to me that you had many friends. You never have any visit you.
- Annie: I know lots of people. Oh, hundreds.
- Lora Meredith: Really?
- Annie: I belong to the Baptist church. And I belong to several lodges too.
- Lora Meredith: I didn't know.
- Annie: Miss Lora, you never asked.”
“- Lora Meredith: Now, just a moment, young lady! It's only because of my ambition that you've had the best of everything. And that's a solid achievement that any mother can be proud of!
- Susie, age 16: And how about a mother's love?
- Lora Meredith: Love? But you've always had that!
- Susie, age 16: Yes, by telephone, by postcard, by magazine...” (continue)(continue reading)