Plot – In the aftermath of the Second World War, the American baseball league still forces African Americans to play in a separate blacks-only league, excluding them from the top division games with white players. Tired of this form of racial segregation, Branch Rickey, team executive of the Brooklyn Dodgers', decides to do all he can to bring a young Afro-American into the professional league, choosing the former track star Jackie Robinson.
All actors – Chadwick Boseman, Harrison Ford, Nicole Beharie, Christopher Meloni, Ryan Merriman, Lucas Black, André Holland, Alan Tudyk, Hamish Linklater, T.R. Knight, John C. McGinley, Toby Hussshow all
“42” Quotes 6 quotes
- Jackie Robinson: You want a player who doesn't have the guts to fight back?
- Branch Rickey: No. I want a player who's got the guts not to fight back. People aren't gonna like this. They're gonna do anything to get you to react. Echo a curse with a curse and, uh, they'll hear only yours. Follow a blow with a blow and they'll say, "The Negro... (continue)(continue reading)
“- Branch Rickey: We win if the world is convinced of two things: That you are a fine gentleman and a great baseball player. Like our Savior... you gotta have the guts... to turn the other cheek. Can you do it?
- Jackie Robinson: You give me a uniform... you give me a, heh, number on my back... and I'll give you the guts.”
“- Branch Rickey: You think God likes baseball, Herb?
- Herb Pennock: What? What the hell is that supposed to mean?
- Branch Rickey: It means someday you're gonna meet God, and when he inquires as to why you didn't take the field against Robinson in Philadelphia, and you answer that it's because he was a Negro, it may not be a sufficient reply!”
“We had a victory of fascism in Germany. It's time, time we had a victory over racism at home.”
“I don't think it matters what I believe, only what I do.”
“I don't care if they like me. I didn't come here to make friends. I don't even care if they respect me. I know who I am.”