Plot – Young Dr. Petersen works as an assistant in a nursing home for mentally ill patients. She learns Dr. Edward is going to replace the director, Dr. Fleury. As Edward arrives, Petersen thinks the new director has been substituted, but the man confesses her he's not the real Dr. Edward as he's his murderer indeed. During the night, the enigmatic man leaves the clinic and Petersen locates him and diagnoses he's a mentally ill patient. Through a psychoanalytic investigation, Petersen evokes the alleged murder happened in the mountains. The patient regains his lost memory and an episode from his childhood turns to be the key of the current mystery.
All actors – Ingrid Bergman, Gregory Peck, Michael Chekhov, Leo G. Carroll, Rhonda Fleming, John Emery, Norman Lloyd, Bill Goodwin, Steven Geray, Donald Curtis, Wallace Ford, Art Baker, Regis Toomey, Paul Harvey, , Jean Acker, Irving Bacon, Richard Bartell, Harry Brown, Joel Davis, Jacqueline deWit, Edward Fielding, Alfred Hitchcock, Teddy Infuhr, Victor Kilian, George Meader, Matt Moore, Constance Purdy, Addison Richards, Erskine Sanford, Janet Scott, Clarence Straight, Dave Willockshow all
“Spellbound” Quotes 13 quotes
“Apparently the mind is never too sick to make jokes about psychoanalysis.”
“- Dr. Alex Brulov: And how do you know what his real character is?
- Constance Petersen: I know. I know.
- Dr. Alex Brulov: She knows. This is the way science goes backward. Who told you what he is? Freud?, or a crystal ball?”
“ My dear girl, you can not keep bumping your head against reality and saying it is not there.”
“The mind of a woman in love is operating on the lowest level of the intellect!”
“There's lots of happiness in working hard. Maybe the most.”
“- Constance Petersen: People fall in love, as they put it, because they respond to a certain hair coloring or vocal tones or mannerisms that remind them of their parents.
- Anthony Edwardes: Or... or... sometimes for no reason at all.”
“- John Ballantyne: That Freud stuff's a bunch of hooey.
- Dr. Alex Brulov: Oh, you are a fine one to talk! You have a guilt complex and amnesia and you don't know if you are coming or going from somewhere, but Freud is hooey! This you know! Hmph! Wiseguy.”
“Good night and sweet dreams... which we'll analyze at breakfast.”
“Women make the best psychoanalysts until they fall in love. After that they make the best patients.”
“- Constance Petersen: I think the greatest harm done the human race has been done by the poets.
- Anthony Edwardes: Oh, poets are dull boys, most of them, but not especially fiendish.
- Constance Petersen: They keep filling people's heads with delusions about love... writing about it as if it were a symphony orchestra or a flight of angels.”