Ingrid Bergman quotes
“Happiness is good health and a bad memory.”
“A kiss is a lovely trick designed by nature to stop speech when words become superfluous.”
“- Ilsa Lund: I said I would never leave you.
- Rick Blaine: And you never will. But I've got a job to do, too. Where I'm going, you can't follow. What I've got to do, you can't be any part of.”
“I've never sought success in order to get fame and money; it's the talent and the passion that count in success.”
“Kiss me as if it were the last time.”
“I guess I'm the girl nobody remembers.”
“- Alicia: Do you love me, Commodore?
- Commodore: You're a very beautiful woman.
- Alicia: I'll have another drink to appreciate that.”
Waving the flag with one hand and picking pockets with the other, that's your "patriotism".
“- Alicia: I'm terrified.
- Devlin: Just pretend you're a janitor. Janitors are never terrified.”
“- Alicia: Don't ever leave me.
- Devlin: You'll never get rid of me again.
- Alicia: Never tried to.”
“- Alicia: Say it again, it keeps me awake.
- Devlin: I love you.”
“- Alicia: This is a very strange love affair.
- Devlin: Why?
- Alicia: Maybe the fact that you don't love me.”
“- Dr. Alex Brulov: And how do you know what his real character is?
- Constance Petersen: I know. I know.
- Dr. Alex Brulov: She knows. This is the way science goes backward. Who told you what he is? Freud?, or a crystal ball?”
“- Constance Petersen: People fall in love, as they put it, because they respond to a certain hair coloring or vocal tones or mannerisms that remind them of their parents.
- Anthony Edwardes: Or... or... sometimes for no reason at all.”
“- Constance Petersen: I think the greatest harm done the human race has been done by the poets.
- Anthony Edwardes: Oh, poets are dull boys, most of them, but not especially fiendish.
- Constance Petersen: They keep filling people's heads with delusions about love... writing about it as if it were a symphony orchestra or a flight of angels.”
“Did anyone ever tell you that you have a dishonest face? For a priest, I mean.”
“If we don't fail sometimes, our successes won't mean anything. You must have courage. Don't give up.”
“You don't become a nun to run away from life, Patsy. It's not because you've lost something. It's because you've found something.”
“I'm seized by fear and see a horrible picture of myself. I have never grown up. My face and my body have aged. I acquire memories and experiences but inside all that I haven't even been born. I can't remember any faces not even my own.”