Poetry quotes88 poetry quotes, film quotes, movie lines, taglines
“- Pete Sandich: Love! Ain't what it used to be.
- Al Yackey: Oh there's only ever been two kinds: There's lash fires, which are all flame, burn themselves out and leave nothing. Then there's the long burning. That is nature's burn. Even when you think it's out, the forest floor is warm to the touch. That's the kind you and Dorinda got.
- Pete...” (continue)(continue reading)
“It's you who I want to step to my scene, ‘cause rather the deal with the fallacy... of this dry-ass reality... I'd rather dance and romance your sweet ass in a wet dream. Who am I? Well, they call me Brother to the night. And right now I'm the blues in your left thigh... trying to become the funk in your right. Is that all right?”
“I'm an unspeakable of the Oscar Wilde sort.”
“I am not stupid. I read poetry.”
“- Constance Petersen: I think the greatest harm done the human race has been done by the poets.
- Anthony Edwardes: Oh, poets are dull boys, most of them, but not especially fiendish.
- Constance Petersen: They keep filling people's heads with delusions about love... writing about it as if it were a symphony orchestra or a flight of angels.”
- I'm Only Creative When I Smoke Smoker: Would you like to hear some of my poetry?
- Thurgood Jenkins: Not really, no.
- I'm Only Creative When I Smoke Smoker: You really should. "I have killed. I have helped kill. I have killed part of myself. I cannot change this. I... I must seek Buddha. I must seek Christ".
- Thurgood Jenkins: You must seek... (continue)(continue reading)
- Hector: "Happy is England, sweet her artless daughters; enough their simple loveliness for me". Keats.
- Crowther: Oh! We won't be examined on that, though, will we, sir?
- Hector: Keats?
- Crowther: Happiness.
“Good order, very precise, feeling of the unknown. Fine poetry is the music of mathematics, numbers, singing. You have to look behind the words to understand their meaning.”
“- Becky: I love the sky. It's so limitless.
- Gilbert: It is big. It's very big.
- Becky: Big doesn't even sum it up, right? That word big is so small.”
“- Timms: I don't always understand poetry!
- Hector: You don't always understand it? Timms, I never understand it. But learn it now, know it now and you will understand it... whenever.”
- Becker: "When he's best, he's a little worse than a man, and when he's worst, he's little better than a beast".
- Hendricksson: Oh, that's real good, Becker. I never knew they put Shakespeare in comic books.
“Lifeless out of life, life out of lifeless.”
“- Robert Meary: I can't teach people to write poetry. It has to come from your experience... from your insides.
- Cici Pinkus: What do you do if everything inside you is ugly?
- Robert Meary: Your life may be ugly, kid, but a successful poem about it will not be ugly because the poem will illuminate and communicate the horror of your life to...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Rita: Are you a poet?
- Dr. Frank Bryant: Was. And so, to give me something new to write about, she left me. A very noble woman, my wife - she left me for the good of literature. And remarkably it worked.
- Rita: What, you wrote a lot of good stuff, did ya?
- Dr. Frank Bryant: No. I stopped writing altogether.”
“It's really a shame you can’t publish a sentence. I'm convinced it would be a best seller.”
“The sole excuse for a relationship between two men is that it remains purely platonic. Surely you agree to that.”