Charles Laughton quotes
“- Sir Wilfrid: Your husband loves you very much, does he not?
- Christine Vole: Leonard? He worships the ground I walk on.
- Sir Wilfrid: And you?
- Christine Vole: You want to know too much. Auf wiedersehen, gentlemen.”
“I have done an unethical thing. I have taken your cigar and I am not taking your case.”
“- Miss Plimsoll: It's beddy-bye. We better go upstairs now, get undressed and lie down.
- Sir Wilfrid: We? What a nauseating prospect.”
“- Miss Plimsoll: Is there too much of a draft? Should I roll up the window?
- Sir Wilfrid: Just roll up your mouth, you talk too much. If I had known how much you talk I'd never have come out of my coma.”
“- Brogan-Moore: Touching isn't it? The way he counts on his wife.
- Sir Wilfrid: Yes, like a drowning man clutching at a razor blade.”
“Doctors! They've deprived me of everything: alcohol, tobacco, female companionship!”
“- Leonard Vole: But this is England, where I thought you never arrest, let alone convict, people for crimes they have not committed.
- Sir Wilfrid: We try not to make a habit of it.”
“I am constantly surprised that women's hats do not provoke more murders.”
“- Sir Wilfrid: I'd better take that thermos of cocoa with me. It helps me wash down down the pills.
- Miss Plimsoll: Let me see. My learned patient is not above substituting brandy for cocoa.”
“The question is, Frau Helm, were you lying then, are you lying now, or are you not in fact a chronic and habitual liar?!”
“I do not like to be interrupted in the middle of an insult.”
“Once you started making money it's hard to stop, especially if you're like me. There isn't much else you're good at.”
“They respect but one law - the law of fear. I expect you to carry out whatever orders I give, whenever I give them.”
“Every time I walk into a restaurant I get not only soup but an impersonation of Captain Bligh.”
“They can't censor the gleam in my eye.”
“I have a face like the behind of an elephant.”
“Method actors give you a photograph. Real actors give you an oil painting.”
“The truth can't be allowed to live under the occupation. It's too dangerous. The occupation lives upon lies!”
“- Bligh: Mr. Christian, I give you your last chance to return to duty.
- Christian: I'll take my chance against the law. You'll take yours against the sea.”
“I'm not looking at you as a... man looks. I'm a painter. Painters have a different way of looking at things.”
“I have roamed these halls for three centuries and I am so tired. If only I could rest...”
“Why was I not made of stone - like thee?”