“Liberty Heights” quotes(1999)
Plot – Baltimore, 1954. Jew Net Curtzman runs a variety saloon, where actually he has set up a clandestine betting game. His two sons Van and Ben go to school. When the machines go haywire, Little Melvin wins 100 thousand dollars, but Net can't afford the payment and thinks to sell him part of his activity. Melvin feels mocked and kidnaps Ben, so Net is forced to sell everything, but Little Melvin doesn't know how to run the club so Net takes back his activity. Nevertheless, everyone is arrested for prostitution. Before going to jail, Net confesses publicly in the synagogue. Ben's voice-over comments the events have been an important period of his life.
All actors – Adrien Brody, Ben Foster, Orlando Jones, Bebe Neuwirth, Joe Mantegna, Rebekah Johnson, David Krumholtz, Richard Kline, Vincent Guastaferro, Justin Chambers, Carolyn Murphy, James Pickens Jr.show all
“Liberty Heights” Quotes 8 quotes
- Ada Kurtzman: What do you mean "she's attractive"?
- Ben Kurtzman: Pretty.
- Ada Kurtzman: Oh my God...
- Ben Kurtzman: Mom, I said she was attractive, that doesn't necessarily mean I'm attracted to her!
“- Van Kurtzman: You believe this stuff?
- Ben Kurtzman: I don't know.
- Ada Kurtzman: What do you mean you don't know? It's in the Bible!
- Van Kurtzman: Oh, so that makes it true?
- Ada Kurtzman: It's the Bible! A story.
- Van Kurtzman: Yeah, a true story?”
“- Ada Kurtzman: Your father says you're not going out dressed that way.
- Ben Kurtzman: And I'm not changing.
- Ada Kurtzman: He says he's not changing.
- Nate Kurtzman: I wanna talk to Hitler.
- Ada Kurtzman: He has a swastika on his arm and big black boots! He's wearing big black boots! He came down the stairs in them with swastikas all...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Dubbie the Blonde: Do you speak french?
- Van Kurtzman: No. Do you?
- Dubbie the Blonde: Yes. Not as well as my father's boyfriend. But then again, he is French.”
“Life is made up of a few big moments, and a lot of little ones. I still remember the first time I kissed Sylvia, or the last time I hugged my father before he died. And I still remember that white-bread sandwich and that blonde dancing girl with the cigarette pack on her thigh. But a lot of images fade, and no matter how hard I try, I can't get...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Ada Kurtzman: How are the coloureds doing at school?
- Ben Kurtzman: Okay, they're doing okay. They're getting better grades than I am.”
“- Louie: You can't find a colored person who wants to play cricket on Tuesday, Wednesday, or Kiss-My-Tuchis-Day.
- Charlie, Nate's Assistant: For that matter, you can't find a white person who wants to play cricket. What is it with that game? It makes no sense. How many players do you need there? What do they use, a mallet or something?”
- Ben Kurtzman: The jawbone of the ass, where is it?
- Grandma Rose: Is he crazy? What kind of talk is this?
- Van Kurtzman: Your ass does not have a jawbone.
- Ben Kurtzman: Well, Samson slew the Philistines with the jawbone of an ass!
- Ada Kurtzman: Not your ass, an animal!
- Ben Kurtzman: There's an animal called an "ass"?