Language quotes284 language quotes, film quotes, movie lines, taglines
“- Lt. Leak: Captain, uh... there must be some mistake. I'm supposed to be in a Texas unit. Most of these boys are from New York and I just don't understand a word these city fellers are sayin'.
- Capt. George McMurtry: You don't have to understand them Lieutenant, they have to understand you.”
“If you do not speak English, I am at your disposal with 187 other languages along with their various dialects and sub-tongues.”
“- Rocket Raccoon: You speak Groot?
- Thor: Yes, they taught it on Asgard. It was an elective.”
“The language is confusing but the actions are inimitable.”
“- Mrs. Crockett: You're a long way from home, aren't you, Mr. Carpenter?
- Klaatu: How did you know?
- Mrs. Crockett: Oh, I can tell a New England accent a mile away.”
“- Gloria: Don't be ridic'.
- Don Birnam: Gloria, please. Why imperil our friendship with these loathsome abbreviations?”
“- Wang Chi-Yang: What language is he using? I have a feeling he has been disrespectful, but I am not sure.
- Madame Liang: No, no. That is American style slang.”
“- Louise Banks: The weapon is their language. They gave it all to us. Do you understand what that means?
- Colonel Weber: So we can learn heptapod. If we survive.
- Louise Banks: If you learn it, when you really learn it, you begin to perceive time the way that they do. So you can see what's to come. But time, it isn't the same for them. It's...” (continue)(continue reading)
“It's amazing. You speak Chinese like a native.”
“- Ian Donnelly: If you immerse yourself into a foreign language, then you can actually rewire your brain.
- Louise Banks: Yeah, the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis. It's the theory that the language you speak determines how you think and...
- Ian Donnelly: Yeah, it affects how you see everything.”
“Trust me, you can, uh, understand communication and still end up single.”
- Neal Page: Let me close this conversation by saying that you are one unique individual.
- Del Griffith: Unique... what's that, Latin for "asshole"?
“- Alan Twitty: Tom?
- Tom Gribalski: Ahoy, mateys! What brings you landlubbers down to the salty brine?
- Alan Twitty: Speak English, please?
- Tom Gribalski: Oh, excuse me... Whass'up...?”
“- Rocky: You're like paper. You know, you're trash.
- Anthony Adams: Like trash?
- Rocky: You know, you're like paper falling by, you know... It doesn't sound that bad in Spanish...”