“- Eddie Birdlace: Why do we bullshit each other like this?
- Berzin: Are you kidding me? Look, I bullshit you, you bullshit me. We take our bullshit from the military, who takes their bullshit from President Kennedy, who takes bullshit from everyone else. And that's what makes us Americans, Birdlace.”
Plot – San Francisco, 1963. The night before leaving for Vietnam, eighteen-year-old Eddie Birdlace and his friends play "Dogfight": the game consists in betting money, rent a bar for a party, find a date and whoever brings the ugliest girl wins. Eddie brings Rose, a convinced pacifist who works in a cafe. Rose is happy to accompany him, but soon discovers the game behind the invitation and tells Eddie and his friends off, not because of what was done to her, but for all the other girls involved earlier in this cruel game. Eddie, on the other hand, slowly begins to know her and appreciate her good qualities, so when she returns home angry, he follows her to apologize. Eddie feels guilty and asks Rose for a real date. They spend the rest of the evening together, and also the night. The day after Eddie leaves: when he returns four years later after the war, he will be a different and wiser man thanks to Rose.
All actors – River Phoenix, Lili Taylor, Richard Panebianco, Anthony Clark, Mitchell Whitfield, Holly Near, Elizabeth Daily, Sue Morales, Christina Mastin, Christopher Shaw, John Lacy, Chris San Nicholasshow all
“Dogfight” Quotes 10 quotes
“- Rose: What's a 'jarhead'?
- Eddie Birdlace: That's just what we call ourselves. You see, I'm a United States marine. It's okay if we say it but if a squid says it, you know, a sailor? Then it's fist city. But it's alright if a woman says it... especially if she can sing as good as you can.
- Rose: Thanks. Thanks very much. Jarhead.”
“How'd you like to eat my shit?”
“- Rose: Eddie, what's the problem?
- Eddie Birdlace: No problem. Just a man with a mission.
- Rose: What mission?
- Eddie Birdlace: You and me, against the pricks. Are you with me?”
“What did the ghost say to the bee? Boobee.”
“- Waiter: Are you ready to order?
- Rose: Yes, goddammit. I'm going to have the fucking poached salmon, with the son-of-a-bitching rice, and a dirty bastard salad with a shitload of Roquefort dressing. Thank you. And um, who knows what this asshole wants.
- Eddie Birdlace: I'll just take a fucking beer.”
“- Rose: Aren't they fighting there or something?
- Eddie Birdlace: No, not really. We'll just be there as advisors to teach them how to take care of the Commies.
- Rose: That could be dangerous.
- Eddie Birdlace: Nah. We'll kick a little ass, take a few names. Be back in a couple of months.”
- Marcie: Only $50?
- Berzin: Come on, Marcie! Cut me some slack, will you?
- Marcie: Slack? No, you find slack in the dictionary between "shit" and "syphilis".
“Let me tell you something about bullshit. It's everywhere. You hit me with a little, I buy it. I hit you with a little, you buy it. It doesn't make us idiots. That's what makes us buddies.”
“- Eddie Birdlace: Where's our fucking drinks?
- Rose: You boys sure like to swear.
- Eddie Birdlace: No, we just like to drink.”