All actors – Sophie Marceau, Stephen Dillane, Dominique Belcourt, Kevin Anderson, Lia Williams, Joss Ackland, Sally Dexter, Emma Amos, Maggie McCarthy, Wolf Kahler, Annabel Giles, John Flanagan, Valerie Minifie, Diana Payan, John Hodgkinson, Anthony Dutton, Hugh Walters, Peter Needham, Melissa Knatchbull, Frank Rozelaar-Green, Trevor St. John Hacker, Katharine Levy, Valerie Sarruf, Ian Crowe, Harry Jones, Tom Fishershow all
“Firelight” Quotes 11 quotes
“I'm not a servant, I'm a prisoner! So will you be when you grow up. The day you come of age the gates will close around you because you are a woman! If you marry, everything you own will become the property of your husband. If you don't marry every profession will be closed to you but one, and that one is a life of loneliness and humiliation.”
“- Elisabeth Laurier: Shall we start our lessons?
- Louisa Godwin: I don't have to do what you say. You're just a servant.”
“- Charles Godwin: Louisa tells me you have a story about firelight.
- Elisabeth Laurier: Yes. I tell her Firelight is a magic time, when times stands still.
- Charles Godwin: Why'd you tell her that?
- Elisabeth Laurier: I find it helps. A time with no rules at the end of the day.”
“- Charles Godwin: You're very... I didn't expect it to be like this.
- Elisabeth Laurier: What did you expect?
- Charles Godwin: Last night. I thought - for a moment I thought that...
- Elisabeth Laurier: You thought that I liked it?
- Charles Godwin: Did you?
- Elisabeth Laurier: No. But I could.”
“- Charles Godwin: I will not have you treat my daughter like this.
- Elisabeth Laurier: Would you have her grow up ignorant and friendless?”
“You can do what you want, say what you want, be what you want, and when the lamps are lit again, time starts again, and everything you said or did is forgotten. More than forgotten, it never happened.”
“- Charles Godwin: If you harm so much as one hair on her head...
- Elisabeth Laurier: Do you think I, of all people, would ever hurt her? I'll make you a promise: whatever I do to Louisa I'll do to myself. You want her to love you. I want her to be loved.”
“It's a kind of magic. Firelight makes time stand still. When you put out the lamps and sit in the firelight's glow there aren't any rules any more.”