“Brother Sun, Sister Moon” quotes(1972)
Plot – Francesco, son of a rich merchant, is a cheerful young man. When Perugia and Assisi start a war, Francesco takes part in it, but returns home wounded and broken in his spirit. After a long meditation, moved by the love for poor and humble people who visit his father's shop, he renounces to his material goods and retires in a small church dedicated to San Damian. He is joined by many of his friends and by the 14-year-old Chiara and together they decide to live on charity. In the end, Francesco meets the Pope, who will kneel before him.
All actors – Graham Faulkner, Judi Bowker, Leigh Lawson, Kenneth Cranham, Lee Montague, Valentina Cortese, Alec Guinness, Michael Feast, Nicholas Willatt, John Sharp, Adolfo Celi, Francesco Guerrieri, Peter Firth, , Robin Askwith, Rossano Attrotico, Pierre Baldini, Alfredo Bianchini, Aristide Caporale, Massimo Foschi, Carlo Hintermann, Guido Lollobrigida, Franca Mazzoni, Carlo Pisacane, Gianni Pulone, Robert Rietty, Franca Sciutto, Renato Terra, Fortunato Arenashow all
“Brother Sun, Sister Moon” Quotes 12 quotes
“We are not a regiment of priests for whom the sacred vow of chastity is the discipline. We are just a band of men who simply love God, each according to his own capacity.”
“- St. Francis of Assisi: I want to be a beggar! Yes, yes a beggar. Christ was a beggar, His Holy Apostles were beggars. I want to be as free as they are.
- Pietro Di Bernardone: But Your Grace, even beggars show respect to their fathers!
- St. Francis of Assisi: I'm not your son anymore. What is born of flesh is flesh, what is born of spirit is...” (continue)(continue reading)
“Come and let yourselves be built as living stones into the spiritual temple.”
“In our obsession of original sin, we too often forget original innocence.”
“- St. Francis of Assisi: What have the judges of men to do with me. God is my only judge!
- Consul: Unfortunately, he isn't around to help us out.”
“- Bishop Guido: So what do you want?
- St. Francis of Assisi: I want to be happy, I want to live like the birds in the sky. I want to experience the freedom and beauty that they experience.”
“- Bernardo: I want to help you
- St. Francis of Assisi: Words, words Bernardo. There was a time when I believed in words.”
“- Bernardo: War's a serious business.
- Giocondo: Such profoundity, Bernardo.”
“Do you remember me? I'm Clare... People say you are mad, do you know that? When you went off to war they said you were fine, intelligent - and now you are mad, because... because you sing like the birds, you chase after butterflies and... you look at flowers. I think you were mad before, not now.”
“If the purpose of life is this loveless toil we fill our days with, then it is not for me.”