War quotes903 war quotes, film quotes, movie lines, taglines
“Some had families waiting. For others, their only family would be the men they bled beside. There were no bands, no flags, no Honor Guards to welcome them home. They went to war because their country ordered them to. But in the end, they fought not for their country or their flag, they fought for each other.”
“Mr. President, I'm not saying we wouldn't get our hair mussed. But I do say no more than ten to twenty million killed, tops. Uh, depending on the breaks.”
“- Zev Gutman: Did your father ever talk to you about Germany?
- John Kurlander: Are you kidding me? He never stopped talking about Germany.”
Ground team, you're up that trail, you've got the grid coordinates. Air team, you follow me down this creek. Well, that's it... it's game time. I had a speech prepared, but I guess I forgot it. There are some lines from Julius Caesar. "If a man were to know the end of this day's business, here it come; but it suffices that the day will end, and... (continue)(continue reading)
“- Tommy: It's not fair!
- Alex: Survival's not fair!”
“These are the true events of November, 1965, in the Ia Drang Valley of Vietnam. A place our country does not remember, in a war it does not understand.”
“- Andre Baptiste Senior: They say that I am the lord of war, but perhaps it is you.
- Yuri Orlov: I believe it's warlord.
- Andre Baptiste Senior: Thank you, but I prefer it my way.”
“You know what you are... what you're made of. War is in your blood. Don't fight it. You didn't kill for your country.
You killed for yourself. God's never gonna make that go away. When you're pushed, killing's as easy as breathing.”
“- Lt. Col. Hal Moore: I pray you watch over the young Jack Geoghegan. That I lead into battle. You use me as your instrument in this awful hell of war to watch over them. Especially if they're men like this one beside me, deserving of a future in your blessing and goodwill. Amen.
- 2nd Lt. Jack Geoghegan: Amen.
- Lt. Col. Hal Moore: Oh, yes, and...” (continue)(continue reading)
“the purpose of war is to serve a political end but the true nature of war is to serve itself.”
“Just because there's not a war doesn't mean there's peace.”
“In 20 years, Iraq will be a hellhole nobody cares about. Terrorism's a short-term threat. The real threats will come from China, Russia, Iran. and they'll come as SQL injections and malware.”
Every piece of this is man's bullshit. They call this war "a cloud over the land" but they made the weather and then they stand in the rain and say "Shit, it's raining!".
“- Sheldon Kornpett: You were involved in the Bay of Pigs?
- Vince Ricardo: Involved? That was my idea.”
“- Chuck: I still remember the war.
- Dave Buznik: Oh, yeah?
- Chuck: Yeah, I remember waking up to the sound of bombs dropping and children screaming.
- Dave Buznik: Oh, you were in Vietnam?
- Chuck: No... Grenada.
- Dave Buznik: Didn't that, like, last only 12 hours?”
“They're war slogans. We remember the slogans, we can't even remember the fucking wars. You know why? That's show business. Naked girl covered in Napalm. 'V for Victory'. Five Marines raising the flag. You remember the picture 50 years from now, you'll have forgotten the war. The Gulf War, smart bomb falling down a chimney. 2500 missions a day,...” (continue)(continue reading)
“A shepherd must tend his flock. And at times... fight off the wolves.”
“- Lt. Col. James Doolittle: Secretary of the Navy gave me these.
- Capt. Danny Walker: What are they?
- Lt. Col. James Doolittle: Friendship medals the Japanese gave us when they were pretending they wanted peace.
- Capt. Rafe McCawley: What do you want me to do with them, sir?
- Lt. Col. James Doolittle: We're gonna wire them to the bombs and...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Col. Cal Rhodes: For years I couldn't sleep after Korea. My nightmares all had to do with the Chosin Reservoir. The ground there was so frozen, we couldn't bury our dead. We had to pile 'em on trucks and lash them up against the tanks. For years I'd wake up with those dead, frozen faces staring at me.
- Wilkes: Did it ever go away?
- Col. Cal...” (continue)(continue reading)