I love you as my own flesh. I beg of you to marry me. Say "Edward, give me my name". Say "Edward, I will marry you".
“Jane Eyre” quotes(1996)
Plot – Jane Eyre grows up at Gateshead Hall, then she attends Lowood School where her only consolation is the friendship with Helen Burns. As an adult, Jane is employed as a governess at Thornfield Hall, a large country house. There she meets Mrs. Fairfax, her nice pupil Adele and the eccentric owner Edward Rochester. Richard Mason arrives to Thornfield Hall and gets hurt, so Rochester asks Jane to help him. Meanwhile Jane's aunt Reed is dying and she goes to visit her. Once back Rochester proposes, but a lawyer and Richard Mason stop the celebrations. Rochester is forced to reveal the presence of Bertha, Rochester's wife and Richard's sister. Jane is upset and flees while Bertha burns down the house, then an irresistible impulse leads Jane to come back to Thornfield, but the mansion is now a blackened ruin. Rochester is alive but he has lost his sight to save Bertha. As she has committed suicide, they can now marry and rebuild their lives.
All actors – Anna Paquin, Nic Knight, Nicola Howard, Sasha Graff, Fiona Shaw, John Wood, Geraldine Chaplin, Amanda Root, Leanne Rowe, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Richard Warwick, Judith Parker, Joan Plowright, Joséphine Serre, Billie Whitelaw, William Hurt, Simon Beresford, Chris Larkin, Elle Macpherson, Miranda Forbes, Ann Queensberry, Sheila Burrell, Sara Stevens, Oriane Messina, Marissa Dunlop, Julian Fellowes, Barry Martin, Walter Sparrow, Steffan Boje, Golda Broderick, Edward de Souza, John Tranter, Samuel West, Charlotte Attenborough, Ralph Nossek, Peter Woodthorpe, Maria Schneidershow all
“Jane Eyre” Quotes 11 quotes
“- Rochester: Are you fond of presents?
- Jane Eyre: I hardly know. I have little experience of them.”
“- Adele: Mademoiselle, will we be very happy?
- Jane Eyre: We will work hard, and we will be content.”
- Rochester: So you and I must say goodbye?
- Jane Eyre: Yes, sir.
- Rochester: And how does one perform that ceremony? Teach me, I am not quite up to it.
- Jane Eyre: They say "farewell" or any other form they prefer.
- Rochester: Farewell, Miss Eyre. At the present. Is that all?
- Jane Eyre: Yes, sir.
- Rochester: Then we shake hands.
“- Mr. Brocklehurst: And what is hell? Can you tell me that?
- Young Jane Eyre: A pit full of fire.
- Mr. Brocklehurst: And should you like to fall into that pit, and to be burning there forever?
- Young Jane Eyre: No sir.
- Mr. Brocklehurst: What must you do to avoid it?
- Young Jane Eyre: Keep well and not die, sir.”
“Remember, the shadows are just as important as the light.”
“We are truly devoted, my Edward and I; our hearts beat as one; our happiness is complete.”
“Sometimes I have the strangest feeling about you. Especially when you are near me as you are now. It feels as though I had a string tied here under my left rib where my heart is, tightly knotted to you in a similar fashion. And when you go to Ireland, with all that distance between us, I am afraid that this cord will be snapped, and I shall...” (continue) (continue reading)
“Jane, you're a strange and almost unearthly thing.”