Poverty quotes201 poverty quotes, film quotes, movie lines, taglines
“My kids never had the advantage I had. I was born poor.”
“There is nothing worse than being famous and broke.”
“- Satine: I can't fall in love with anyone.
- Christian: Can't... fall in love? But a life without love... that's terrible!
- Satine: No. Being on the street, that's terrible.”
“When all you've got is nothing, there's a lot to go around.”
“When you're poor, no one wants to know you.”
“It's a lesson to remember: without money, you might as well be dead.”
“- Hunk Houghton: I was singin' country music before the words were invented. And I was on stage with the best of 'em. Eddy Arnold. Roy Acuff.
- Vince Everett: Did you make good money?
- Hunk Houghton: I made two bills a week. I was swimmin' in gravy in those days.
- Vince Everett: Okay, get on to the sad part.
- Hunk Houghton: A woman and a bank...” (continue)(continue reading)
“Don't you know the finest things in the world have been written on an empty stomach.”
“- St. Francis of Assisi: I want to be a beggar! Yes, yes a beggar. Christ was a beggar, His Holy Apostles were beggars. I want to be as free as they are.
- Pietro Di Bernardone: But Your Grace, even beggars show respect to their fathers!
- St. Francis of Assisi: I'm not your son anymore. What is born of flesh is flesh, what is born of spirit is...” (continue)(continue reading)
“Work is a curse, Saturno. Down with work that you have to do to survive. That work isn't honorable, as some say. All it does is fatten the exploiting swine. However, what you do for pleasure ennobles man. If only we could all work like that. Look at me, I'd rather be hanged than work! So, I live poorly, but I live without working.”
“Of all the miseries that afflict humanity, nothing maddens me more than the lack of money.”
“- Marina Mari: I know what poverty is and it scares me. Sure, I could have married a streetcar driver and be starving to death today - me, my children and him.
- Giorgio Manfredi aka Luigi Ferraris: Poor Marina. You think happiness means a fancy apartment, nice clothes, a maid, and rich lovers?
- Marina Mari: If you'd really loved me, you'd have...” (continue)(continue reading)
- Giorgio Manfredi aka Luigi Ferraris: Does she live with you?
- Pina: She's my sister.
- Giorgio Manfredi aka Luigi Ferraris: Your sister?
- Pina: Surprised, huh? I wonder what lies she's told you about where she lives. She's ashamed of us "starving workers." Says she's an artist. But I wouldn't tradeplaces with her. Not because she's bad.... (continue)(continue reading)
“It's the poor man, the shit-shoveler with the arse out of his pants and two bob in his pocket that makes Australia. Every time trouble starts, there he is, standing like a fool at the recruiting office with his hand out for a rifle, while the rich boys are at home hanging on, waiting for a commission or their fathers to get them into a safe job....” (continue)(continue reading)
“Anybody who tells you money is the root of all evil doesn't fucking have any.”