Alec Guinness quotes
“- Commander Shears: You mean, you intend to uphold the letter of the law, no matter what it costs?
- Colonel Nicholson: Without law, Commander, there is no civilization.
- Commander Shears: That's just my point; here, there is no civilization.
- Colonel Nicholson: Then we have the opportunity to introduce it.”
“- Colonel Saito: Do you know what will happen to me if the bridge is not built on time?
- Colonel Nicholson: I haven't the foggiest.
- Colonel Saito: I'll have to kill myself. What would you do if you were me?
- Colonel Nicholson: I suppose if I were you... I'd have to kill myself.”
“In our obsession of original sin, we too often forget original innocence.”
“- Marcus Aurelius: Death is in the order of things. Didn't they teach you that in school?
- Lucilla: I will not let you leave me.
- Marcus Aurelius: Is there a choice? Soon, this trickle of blood, these few bones, this net woven of nerves and arteries, will be dust. No choice.”
“We've had to fight long wars. Your burdens have been great. But, we come now - to the end of the road. Here, within our reach, golden centuries of peace. A true Pax Romana! Wherever you live, whatever the color of your skin, when peace is achieved, it will bring to all, all, the supreme right of Roman citizenship.”
“- Marcus Aurelius: What is another day to offer you, Timonides?
- Timonides: Warmth, life, color, people.”
- One-Round: Are we supposed to make noises with these things? What kind o' noises?
- Louis: Who is she?
- Professor Marcus: Not "noises", One-Round, music!
“- John Bigalow: I've had a few ships shot out from under me. More than my share. Three in the 1914-18 fracas, and two in 39-45. But all anybody ever asks me about is the Titanic.
- Dirk Pitt: And now I'm doing the same thing.
- John Bigalow: And you're lucky you came to the right man!”
“It was a huge success and I got an Oscar for it, though I don’t think it made an enormous difference in my career.”
“Essentially, I'm a small-part actor who's been lucky enough to play leading roles for most of his life.”
“An actor is totally vulnerable. ”
“I don't know what else I could do but pretend to be an actor.”
- Luke Skywalker: Why didn't you tell me? You told me that Darth Vader betrayed and murdered my father.
- Obi-Wan: Your father... was seduced by the Dark Side of the Force. He ceased to be the Jedi Anakin Skywalker and "became" the Sith Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So, what I told you was... (continue)(continue reading)
“- Luke Skywalker: There is still good in him.
- Obi-Wan: He's more machine now than man. Twisted and evil.”
“- Obi-Wan: You cannot escape your destiny. You must face Darth Vader again.
- Luke Skywalker: I can't kill my own father.
- Obi-Wan: Then the Emperor has already won. You were our only hope.”
“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.”