“The Madness of King George” quotes(1994)
Plot – George III, King of England, begins to show signs of mental imbalance and his eldest son, the Prince of Wales, plans to depose him. Minister Pitt consults doctor Willis and he takes the king at his clinic in the countryside submitting him to a strict diet. Anyway the King's disease protracts and his supporters decrease, until Queen Charlotte talks with him and he starts improving. He goes back to the Parliament in time for the elections and he's acclaimed.
All actors – Rupert Graves, Helen Mirren, Amanda Donohoe, Charlotte Curley, Peter Bride-Kirk, Eve Camden, Thomas Copeland, Joanna Hall, Cassandra Halliburton, Russell Martin, Natalie Palys, Rupert Everettshow all
“The Madness of King George” Quotes 16 quotes
“- George III: Good evening, Mrs. King.
- Queen Charlotte: Good evening, Mr. King.”
“- Thurlow: Your Majesty seems more yourself.
- George III: Do I? Yes, I do. I've always been myself, even when I was ill. Only now I seem myself. And that's the important thing. I have remembered how to seem.”
“No life is without its regrets yet none is without its consolations.”
“You'll have to speak up, I don't see very well.”
“To be kind does not commend you to kings. They see it, as they see any flow of feeling, as a liberty. A blind eye will serve you better.”
“It takes character to withstand the rigours of indolence.”
“- George III: What of the colonies, Mr. Pitt?
- Pitt: America is now a nation, sir.
- George III: Is it? Well. We must try and get used to it. I have known stranger things. I once saw a sheep with five legs...”
“- Fox: You see that the King did not write his own speech, Mr. Pitt.
- Pitt: The King will do as he's told, Mr. Fox.
- Fox: Then why not be rid of him? If a few ramshackle colonists in America can send him packing, why can't we?”
“- Dr. Willis: If the King refuses food, He will be restrained. If He claims to have no appetite, He will be restrained. If He swears and indulges in meaninglessdiscourse... He will be restrained. If He throws off his bed-clothes, tears away His bandages, scratches at His sores, and if He does not strive every day and always towards His own...” (continue)(continue reading)
“When will you get it into your head that one can produce a copious, regular and exquisitely turned evacuation every day of the week and still be a stranger to reason.”
“- Fox: Do you enjoy all this flummery, Mr. Pitt?
- Pitt: No, Mr. Fox.
- Fox: Do you enjoy anything, Mr. Pitt?
- Pitt: A balance sheet, Mr. Fox. I enjoy a good balance sheet.”
“To be Prince of Wales is not a position - it is a predicament.”