“Since You Went Away” quotes(1944)
Plot – Anne Hilton's husband is called back to fight in World War II. The woman has to support her daughters Jane and Bridget despite her anxieties and fears. Jane is worried too for her boyfriend at the front. The fate marks them deeply, but Anne continues to be for everyone an example of courage, will and dedication.
All actors – Claudette Colbert, Jennifer Jones, Joseph Cotten, Shirley Temple, Monty Woolley, Lionel Barrymore, Robert Walker, Hattie McDaniel, Agnes Moorehead, Alla Nazimova, Albert Bassermann, Gordon Olivershow all
“Since You Went Away” Quotes 10 quotes
“- Cpl. Bill Smollett 2nd: You will marry me when it's over, won't you, Jane? You won't be mad at me because I didn't marry you now?
- Jane Hilton: Of course I won't be mad. But you take care of yourself.”
“- Cpl. Bill Smollett 2nd: I don't want to leave you!
- Jane Hilton: It won't be for long, darling.
- Cpl. Bill Smollett 2nd: It might be for months, or for years, maybe.
- Jane Hilton: It doesn't matter. I'll be thinking about you all the time. Someday the war will be over, and then we can be...
- Cpl. Bill Smollett 2nd: Then we can be married,...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Anne Hilton: When a man goes off to war, we have to be... the telegram came just a few minutesago. It was addressed to you, but I opened it.
- Jane Hilton: Did it say he was missing, or what? I don't care if he's wounded, I don't care what's happened to him, if only...
- Anne Hilton: No, dear, it said he... died in action at Salerno.”
“- Jane Hilton: You're fine and strong, but you're just sensitive, that's all.
- Cpl. Bill Smollett 2nd: But don't you think I'm a failure after everything I've told you?
- Jane Hilton: A failure? Just because you're not an officer? Why, an officer I know, he said that you are the boys doing the fighting.”
“- Jane Hilton: His burns seem almost healed.
- Dr. Sigmund Gottlieb Golden: Yes, his burns, but the most seriousinjury - that, I'm afraid, will take more time.
- Jane Hilton: The injury to his mind? Is that what you mean?
- Dr. Sigmund Gottlieb Golden: No, not to his mind. To his confidence, in himself and in others.”
“- Cpl. Bill Smollett 2nd: You know it's because I wouldn't want you to be... you know, if anything happened to me...
- Jane Hilton: A widow, you mean.
- Cpl. Bill Smollett 2nd: Yes, but not only that. If something happened - I mean, if I was...
- Jane Hilton: If you were wounded? Bill, I'd take care of you the rest of our lives, always.”