Lionel Barrymore quotes
“- Jesse McCanles: You mean to shoot down unarmed men?
- Sen. Jackson McCanles: Just like rattlesnakes if they cross that line!”
“I once fought for that flag; I'll not fire on it.”
“- Sen. Jackson McCanles: So that's where you stand!
- Jesse McCanles: I think I'd rather be on the side of the victims than of the murderers.”
“Half the people in Hollywood are dying to be discovered and the other half are afraid they will be.”
“If a man doesn't know death, he doesn't know life.”
“The older you get, the more you realize that kindness is synonymous with happiness.”
“I've played everything but the harp.”
“I am an old man, and most people hate me. But I don't like them either so that makes it all even.”
“No man is really dead unless he breaks faith with the future, and no man is really alive unless he accepts his responsibility to it.”
“- Mr. Potter: Have you put any real pressure on these people of yours to pay those mortgages?
- Pa Bailey: Times are bad, Mr. Potter. A lot of these people are out of work.
- Mr. Potter: Well, then, foreclose.
- Pa Bailey: I can't do that. These families have children.
- Mr. Potter: They're not my children.”
“You’re right, you shouldn’t have been deported, you should have been exterminated.”
“You think you have free license to be insulting? Believe me, you have not. You think you're superior, but you're quite an ordinary man.”
“To life! To the magnificent, dangerous, brief, wonderful life... and the courage to live it! You know, Baron, I've only lived since last night, but that little while seems longer than all the time that's gone before.”
“- Oliver Jordan: International star returns to stage...
- Carlotta Vance: Never! I'll have my double chins in privacy.”