“Eve's Bayou” quotes(1997)
Plot – Eve Batiste lives in Eve's Bayou, Louisiana, where her father Louis is the local doctor and has sexual relationships with his patients, while her mother Roz is a beautiful Afro-Creole woman. One night the child witnesses one of her father's betrayal, but her sister Cicely convinces her it's only a game. A medium tells Roz she has to take care of her children and the woman forbids them to exit the house, so the tension in the family grows, until Cicely goes with her mother on holiday. Eve discovers her father has raped Cicely when she was a child, so she thinks to take revenge. In the end Louis is killed by the jealous husband of one of his partners.
All actors – Jurnee Smollett-Bell, Meagan Good, Lynn Whitfield, Samuel L. Jackson, Debbi Morgan, Jake Smollett, Ethel Ayler, Diahann Carroll, Vondie Curtis-Hall, Roger Guenveur Smith, Lisa Nicole Carson, Branford Marsalisshow all
“Eve's Bayou” Quotes 13 quotes
“Life is filled with goodbyes, Eve, a million goodbyes, and it hurts every time.”
“When I was your age, before I ever did the counseling, I could look at people, complete strangers, and see their whole lives so clear. But when I looked at each of my husbands, I never saw a thing. That's how it always is. Blind to my own life.”
“Memory is a selection of images, some elusive, others imprinted indelibly on the brain.”
“- Elzora: Some things are better left unsaid.
- Mozelle Batiste Delacroix: I paid you a dollar, old woman. Now tell my fortune.
- Elzora: I don't need no cat bones to tell your fortune, Mozelle Batiste. You are a curse. The Black Widow. Next man that marries you is a dead man. Like the others. Always be that way.”
“- Mozelle Batiste Delacroix: You can't possibly marry me. I can't let that happen.
- Julian Grayraven: Is it that you don't love me?
- Mozelle Batiste Delacroix: No! It's not that, it's... bare with me. I'm cursed. I can't have children. I'm barren.”
“Sometimes a soldier falls on his own sword...”
“Like others before me, I have the gift of sight. But the truth changes color, depending on the light. And tomorrow can be clearer than yesterday.”
“- Eve Batiste: Which one did you love best?
- Mozelle Batiste Delacroix: I don't know, Eve. They were all different. Anderson was the handsomest man I had ever seen. Your Uncle Harry, he was the sweetest. And Maynard... Maynard loved me most of all.”
“The town we lived in was named after a slave. It was said that when General John Paul Batiste was stricken with cholera, his life was saved by the powerful medicine of an African slave woman called Eve. In return for his life, he freed her, and gave her this piece of land by the Bayou. Perhaps in gratitude, she bore him sixteen children. We are...” (continue)(continue reading)
“Sometimes, I feel like I've lost so much, I have to find new things to lose.”