“The Last Emperor” quotes(1987)
All actors – John Lone, Joan Chen, Peter O'Toole, Ruocheng Ying, Victor Wong, Dennis Dun, Ryûichi Sakamoto, Maggie Han, Ric Young, Vivian Wu, Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa, Jade Go, Fumihiko Ikeda, Richard Vuu, Tsou Tijger, Tao Wu, Guang Fan, Henry Kyi, Alvin Riley III, Lisa Lu, Hideo Takamatsu, Hajime Tachibana, Basil Pao, Henry O, Kaige Chen, Liangbin Zhang, Wenjie Huang, Dong Liang, Zhendong Dong, Jiechen Dong, Constantine Gregory, Huaikuei Soong, Ruzhen Shao, Li Yu, Guangli Li, Chunqing Xu, Tianmin Zhang, Hongnian Luo, Shihong Yu, Jun Wu, Lucia Hwong, Jingping Cui, Shi Liang, Junguo Gu, Xu Tongrui, Fusheng Li, Shu Chen, Shuyan Cheng, Daxing Zhang, Ruigang Zu, Yuan Jin, Akira Ikuta, Michael Vermaaten, Matthew Spender, Hongxiang Cai, Xinmin Cui, Zhenduo Li, Shigang Luo, Guang Ma, Biao Wang, Baozong Yang, Hongchang Yang, Lingmu Zhangshow all
“The Last Emperor” Quotes 10 quotes
“The Emperor has been a prisoner in his own palace since the day that he was crowned, and has remained a prisoner since he abdicated. But now he's growing up, he may wonder why he's the only person in China who may not walk out of his own front door. I think the Emperor is the loneliest boy on Earth.”
“- Reginald 'R. J.' Johnston: Words are important.
- Pu Yi - 15 Years: Why are words important?
- Reginald 'R. J.' Johnston: If you cannot say what you mean, your majesty, you will never mean what you say and a gentleman should always mean what he says.”
“I know that you know that I know that you know that that is a dialogue between Confucius and Chuang Tzu.”
“- Pu Yi - 15 Years: Where are your ancestors buried?
- Reginald 'R. J.' Johnston: In Scotland, your majesty.
- Pu Yi - 15 Years: But then, where's your skirt? In your country, men wear short skirts, do they not?
- Reginald 'R. J.' Johnston: No, your majesty, Scotmen do not wear skirts. They wear kilts.”
“- Pu Yi - 8 Years: I do not understand. I do not understand.
- Lady Aisin-Gioro: Your majesty is a big boy now. He cannot have a wet nurse anymore. It is much better like this. Much healthier.
- Pu Yi - 8 Years: But she is not just my wet nurse. She is my butterfly.”
“The Americans believe everyone is born good. You must be judged.”
“- Pu Yi - 15 Years: Is it true, Mr. Johnston, that many people out there have had their heads cut off?
- Reginald 'R. J.' Johnston: It is true, your majesty. Many heads have been chopped off. It does stop them thinking.”
“- The Governor: You couldn't possibly have known about the Japanese biological warfare experiments in Harbin! Could you? So why did you sign these papers?
- Pu Yi - Adult: I was responsible for everything.
- The Governor: You are responsible for what you do! All your life you thought you were better than everyone else. Now you think you're the...” (continue)(continue reading)