“The Bridge on the River Kwai” quotes(1957)
Plot – During World War II in Burma, the British colonel Nicholson and his regiment surrender to the Japanese troops. They are held prisoners in a labor camp ruled by Colonel Saito in the middle of the jungle. In order to build a bridge on the river Kwai in a limited amount of time, the Japanese colonel wants to employ not only the English prisoners but also the officials. Nicholson is against this decision and the battle between the two colonels begins, during which Saito implies inhuman methods to make Nicholson surrender.
All actors – William Holden, Alec Guinness, Jack Hawkins, Sessue Hayakawa, James Donald, Geoffrey Horne, André Morell, Peter Williams, John Boxer, Percy Herbert, Harold Goodwin, Ann Sears, Heihachirô Ôkawa, Keiichirô Katsumoto, M.R.B. Chakrabandhu, Vilaiwan Seeboonreaung, Ngamta Suphaphongs, Javanart Punynchoti, Kannikar Dowkleeshow all
“The Bridge on the River Kwai” Quotes 11 quotes
“- Lieutenant Joyce: I'm sorry, Sir. I thought you were the enemy.
- Commander Shears: Well, I'm an American, if that's what you mean.”
“- Nurse at Ceylon hospital: What makes you so sure you'll get a medical discharge?
- Commander Shears: Because I'm a civilian at heart, lover, and I always follow my heart.”
“- Commander Shears: You mean, you intend to uphold the letter of the law, no matter what it costs?
- Colonel Nicholson: Without law, Commander, there is no civilization.
- Commander Shears: That's just my point; here, there is no civilization.
- Colonel Nicholson: Then we have the opportunity to introduce it.”
“- Maj. Warden: I belong to a rather rum group called Force 316. Our headquarters is up in the botanical gardens.
- Commander Shears: Protecting rare plants from the enemy?”
“Do not speak to me of rules. This is war! This is not a game of cricket!”
“- Maj. Warden: You'll go on without me. That's an order. You're in command now, Shears.
- Commander Shears: You make me sick with your heroics! There's a stench of death about you. You carry it in your pack like the plague. Explosives and L-pills - they go well together, don't they? And with you it's just one thing or the other: destroy a bridge...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Colonel Saito: Do you know what will happen to me if the bridge is not built on time?
- Colonel Nicholson: I haven't the foggiest.
- Colonel Saito: I'll have to kill myself. What would you do if you were me?
- Colonel Nicholson: I suppose if I were you... I'd have to kill myself.”