William M. Holden quotes
“The day I need make-up I will quit filming.”
“- Lieutenant Joyce: I'm sorry, Sir. I thought you were the enemy.
- Commander Shears: Well, I'm an American, if that's what you mean.”
“- Nurse at Ceylon hospital: What makes you so sure you'll get a medical discharge?
- Commander Shears: Because I'm a civilian at heart, lover, and I always follow my heart.”
“- Commander Shears: You mean, you intend to uphold the letter of the law, no matter what it costs?
- Colonel Nicholson: Without law, Commander, there is no civilization.
- Commander Shears: That's just my point; here, there is no civilization.
- Colonel Nicholson: Then we have the opportunity to introduce it.”
“- Maj. Warden: I belong to a rather rum group called Force 316. Our headquarters is up in the botanical gardens.
- Commander Shears: Protecting rare plants from the enemy?”
“- Maj. Warden: You'll go on without me. That's an order. You're in command now, Shears.
- Commander Shears: You make me sick with your heroics! There's a stench of death about you. You carry it in your pack like the plague. Explosives and L-pills - they go well together, don't they? And with you it's just one thing or the other: destroy a bridge...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- David Larrabee: I feel so stupid I could kill myself.
- Sabrina Fairchild: You'll be all right in a minute.”
“- Price: Don't bother, Sefton. I don't like you, I never did, and I never will.
- Sefton: A lot of people say that, and the first thing you know it, they get married, and live happily ever after.”
“- Norma Desmond: Young man, tell me something; how long is a movie script these days? I mean how many pages?
- Joe Gillis: Depends on what it is: a Donald Duck or a Joan of Arc.”
“- Betty Schaefer: I've been hoping to run into you.
- Joe Gillis: What for? To recover that knife you stuck in my back?”
“- Betty Schaefer: Don't you sometimes hate yourself?
- Joe Gillis: Constantly.”
“- Billie Dawn: How about the story of your life?
- Paul Verrall: Oh no. Much too long... and mostly untrue.”
“A world full of ignorant people is too dangerous to live in.”
“Hell is paved with good samaritans.”
“- Richard Thorn: Damien was not affected by the gas.
- Ann Thorn: We can be thankful for that.
- Richard Thorn: Why all the other boys and not Damien?
- Ann Thorn: I don't understand. What did the doctor say?
- Richard Thorn: The tissue tests he made indicate that Damien has a different cell structure.
- Ann Thorn: Different?”
“- Charles Warren: Can you tell what actually happened to your brother in London?
- Richard Thorn: Why do you ask that?
- Charles Warren: I've just opened a letter box that was sent from Israel. It belonged to Bugenhagen, they found it near his skeleton.
- Richard Thorn: So?
- Charles Warren: Did you know it was Bugenhagen who gave your brother...” (continue)(continue reading)