Civilization quotes62 civilization quotes, film quotes, movie lines, taglines
“First there was the collapse of civilization: anarchy, genocide, starvation. Then when it seemed things couldn't get any worse, we got the plague.”
“- Goreng: You're an illusion.
- Trimagasi: Maybe. But is that important? Because we're the same now. You and I are murders. But I'm more civilized.”
“- Commander Shears: You mean, you intend to uphold the letter of the law, no matter what it costs?
- Colonel Nicholson: Without law, Commander, there is no civilization.
- Commander Shears: That's just my point; here, there is no civilization.
- Colonel Nicholson: Then we have the opportunity to introduce it.”
“Already I have dropped back into the desert as if it were my own place. Silence and solitude all around me like an impenetrable veil. Sleep more profound that civilization contrives. And then, the roadless desert, again.”
“Civilization has a natural resistance to improving itself.”
“That's the history of the world, Lieutenant. Some people die before their time so that others can live. It's the cornerstone of civilization.”
“Every leap of civilization was built on the back of a disposable workforce.”
“Don't ya know the black woman is the mother of civilization?”
“That is the kind of woman that makes whole civilizations topple!”
“The cornerstone of civilization isn't language, it's science.”
“All the world's great civilizations have followed the same path. From bondage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy back to bondage. If we are to be the exception to history, then we must break the cycle, for those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”
“- Old Priest: The savages did this to me.
- Laforgue: The indians? Why?
- Old Priest: They are uncivilized, just as the English or Germans were before we came to them.”
“I've been called many things over many lifetimes: Ra, Krishna, Yahweh. I was there to spark and fan the flame of man's awakening, to spin the wheel of civilization.”
“The foundation of all civilization is loitering.”
“- Walter: I want you all to consider what I am about to suggest to you. You people seem to want what we've got. Well, we have room for you. We have room for you and about 30 of your friends. You would be students of course, but you'd also be teachers. And the new civilizations you would be travelling to would be unlike anything you've ever seen...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Sanchez: I see rooftops, I see palaces, I see towers, I see spires that reach... to the sky! I see civilisation!
- Columbus: All of them built by people like me. No matter how long you live, Sanchez, there is something that will never change between us. I did it. You didn't.”
“A civilized society must live with a hard truth: he who seeks revenge digs two graves.”
“In civilized towns you look a man direct in the face when you talk to him.”
“- Jason Evans: What do you think's going to happen to us?
- Jack Hall: What do you mean?
- Jason Evans: I mean us? Civilization? Everyone?
- Jack Hall: Mankind survived the last ice age. We're certainly capable of surviving this one. All depends on whether or not we're able to learn from our mistakes.”
“We know they're extremely advanced technologically, which suggests - very rightfully so - that they're peaceful. An advanced civilization, by definition, is not barbaric.”