“- Pina: It's been two years now. How long ago that seems now. And how things have changed, though we were already at war then.
- Francesco: Everyone foolishly thought it would be over quickly and that we'd only see it on newsreels.
- Pina: When is it going to end? Sometimes I just can't go on. This winter feels like it will never end.
-...” (continue) (continue reading)
- Pina: Doesn't Christ see us?
- Don Pietro Pellegrini: So many people ask me that: "Doesn't Christ see us?" But are we sure we haven't deserved this scourge? Are we sure we've always lived according to the Lord's laws? People never think of changing their ways, but when the piper must be paid, they despair and ask, "Doesn't the Lord see us?... (continue) (continue reading)
- Giorgio Manfredi aka Luigi Ferraris: Does she live with you?
- Pina: She's my sister.
- Giorgio Manfredi aka Luigi Ferraris: Your sister?
- Pina: Surprised, huh? I wonder what lies she's told you about where she lives. She's ashamed of us "starving workers." Says she's an artist. But I wouldn't trade places with her. Not because she's bad.... (continue) (continue reading)
“- Pina: Have you known her long?
- Giorgio Manfredi aka Luigi Ferraris: Four months. I'd just arrived in Rome. She used to eat in a certain restaurant. One day the air raid alarm went off and everyone ran. Just she and I were left. She just laughed. Wasn't scared at all.
- Pina: And you fell in love.
- Giorgio Manfredi aka Luigi Ferraris: It...” (continue) (continue reading)
“I've led a bad life. I've done so much I shouldn't have. You think I'm not ashamed to be married in my condition? But you'd never understand. There are things you do without thinking, that you don't feel like you're doing wrong. I was so in love and he was so good, so decent. I know he could have found someone better, a young girl, not a...” (continue) (continue reading)
“- Francesco: We mustn't be afraid now or in the future, because we're on the just path. Understand, Pina?
- Pina: Yes, Francesco.
- Francesco: We're fighting for something that has to be, that can't help coming. The road may be long and hard, but we'll get there and we'll see a better world. And our children especially will see it.”
“Great passions, my dear, don't exist: they're liars fantasies. What do exist are little loves that may last for a short or a longer while.”
“It's so unfair that we should die, just because we are born.”
“A divorcee is a women who got married so she didn't have to work, but now works so she doesn't have to get married.”
“Please don't retouch my wrinkles. It took me so long to earn them.”