Burt Lancaster quotes
“- Sidney Falco: If I'm gonna go out on a limb for you, you gotta know what's involved!
- J.J. Hunsecker: My right hand hasn't seen my left hand in thirty years.”
“Everybody knows Manny Davis - except Mrs. Manny Davis.”
Sidney, conjugate me a verb. For instance, "to promise".
“Mr. Falco, let it be said at once, is a man of 40 faces, not one - none too pretty, and all deceptive. You see that grin? That's the, eh, that's the Charming Street Urchin face. It's part of his helpless act: he throws himself upon your mercy. He's got a half-dozen faces for the ladies. But the one I like, the really cute one, is the quick,...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Karen Holmes: Why don't you tell the truth, you just don't want the responsibility. You're probably not even in love with me.
- Sergeant Milton Warden: You're crazy! I wish I didn't love ya; maybe I can enjoy life again.”
- Robert E. Lee "Prew' Prewitt: A man don't go his own way, he's nothing.
- Sergeant Milton Warden: Maybe back in the days of the pioneers a man could go his own way, but today you got to play ball.
“Rose, do you know why I like to have you serve me beer? So as I can watch you when you walk away.”
“I often think about death. The idea doesn't frighten me. You young people can't understand. To you, death doesn't exist. It's something that happens to others.”
“- Prince Don Fabrizio Salina: In your opinion, what should I say?
- Father Pirrone: The wish to found a Christian family is agreeable to the Church. Our Lord's presence at the marriage...
- Prince Don Fabrizio Salina: Let's keep to the point. I want to talk about this marriage, not the one at Cana, much less about marriage in general.”
“A man of 45 can still consider himself young until he realizes he has children old enough for love. Then old age comes over him in one blow.”
“We're not blind in spirit, Father. We're just human beings in a changing world.”
“- Father Pirrone: Is Your Excellency here for confession?
- Prince Don Fabrizio Salina: Confession? It's not Saturday.
- Father Pirrone: Listen to me. Come to confession.
- Prince Don Fabrizio Salina: There's no need. You know it all already.
- Father Pirrone: The power of confession lies not only in telling our sins, but in repentance.”
“This isn't the end of anything. It's the beginning of everything!”
“You know what is happening in our country? Nothing... simply an imperceptible replacement of one class for another. The middle class doesn't want to destroy us. It simply wants to take our place... and very gently.”
“They never want to improve. They think themselves perfect. Their vanity is greater than their misery.”
“I belong to an unlucky generation, astride between two worlds and ill-at-ease in both. And what is more, I am completely without illusions. Now, what would the Senate do with me, an inexperienced legislator who lacks the faculty for self-deception, an essential requisite for wanting to guide others. No, I cannot lift a finger in politics. It...” (continue)(continue reading)
“We were the leopards, the lions, those who take our place will be jackals and sheep, and the whole lot of us - leopards, lions, jackals and sheep - will continue to think ourselves the salt of the earth.”