Burgess Meredith quotes
“Kids: can't live with them, can't shoot them.”
“- Grandpa Gustafson: Last Thursday, I turned 95 years old. And I never exercised a day in my life. Every morning, I wake up, and I smoke a cigarette. And then I eat five strips of bacon. And for lunch, I eat a bacon sandwich. And for a midday snack?
- John Gustafson: Bacon.
- Grandpa Gustafson: Bacon!”
“- Mickey: You had the talent to become a good fighter, but instead of that, you become a legbreaker to some cheap, second rate loanshark!
- Rocky: It's a living.
- Mickey: It's a waste of life!”
“- John Gustafson: Did you hear, someone moved into the old Klickner place? A woman.
- John Gustafson: Yeah.
- Grandpa Gustafson: Did you mount her?
- John Gustafson: Oh, Dad!
- Grandpa Gustafson: Well the woman, does she have big thighs?
- John Gustafson: No!
- Grandpa Gustafson: No? Then what's the problem? If I was a young fella like you, I'd...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Mickey: I want you to chase this little chicken.
- Rocky Balboa: Hey yo, Mick, what do I got to chase a chicken for?
- Mickey: First, because I said so. And second, is because chicken-chasing is how we used to train back in the old days. If you can catch this thing, you can catch greased lighting.
- Rocky Balboa: Well, I'll do it if you say so...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Mickey Goldmill: What's the matter with you? Why do you wanna fight this guy? Does anything normal go through your head?
- Rocky Balboa: Nothing that I remember.”
“- Mickey: Why do you have to wear that stinkin' sweatsuit?
- Rocky Balboa: It brings me luck, you know?
- Mickey: Brings you luck! I'll tell you what it brings, it brings flies!”
“I'll just take amusement at being a paradox.”
“I was born a character actor. I was never really a leading man type.”
“A pro never forgets his good lines.”
“- Rocky Balboa: [noticing Mickey's hearing aid] What's that in your ear there?
- Mickey: What it is, is I hear stupid things better.”
“Like that man told you in the movies last night, beware of the midgets. They're taking over the world.”
“- Mickey: Your nose is broken.
- Rocky: How does it look?
- Mickey: Ah, it's an improvement.”
“- Rocky Balboa: Three, four...
- Mickey: Now remember, I want 500 hard ones. Go!
- Rocky Balboa: Where was I, seven or eight?”
“- Mickey: Left handed fighters, they're the worst. They lead with their face mostly, trying to throw that big left. Right's no damn good. They ought to outlaw southpaws.
- Rocky Balboa: Why didn't you tell me this before?
- Mickey: I didn't wanna hurt your feelings.”
- Grandpa Gustafson: And finally, the baby bear looked and he said, "Somebody's sleeping in my bed, and the bastard's still there!" But Goldylocks had a Remington semi-automatic, with a scope and a hair-trigger!
- Allie, Melanie's Daughter: That's not the way it goes!
- Grandpa Gustafson: And that was the end of the Three Bears.
“I was partial to tragedy in my youth. That was before experience taught me that life was tragical enough without my having to write about it.”