John Wayne quotes
“Life is hard. It's even harder if you're stupid.”
“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”
“Tomorrow hopes that we have learned something from yesterday.”
“Si' down, si' down. That's what chairs are for.”
“- Thornton: If anybody had told me six months ago that today I'd be in a graveyard in Innisfree with a girl like you that I'm just about to kiss, I'd have told 'em...
- Mary Kate Danaher: Oh, but the kisses are a long way off yet!
- Thornton: Huh?
- Mary Kate Danaher: Well, we just started a-courtin', and next month, we, we start the walkin' out...” (continue)(continue reading)
“There'll be no locks or bolts between us, Mary Kate... except those in your own mercenary little heart!”
“Courage is when you’re scared to death, but you saddle up anyway.”
“John Ford isn't exactly a bum, is he? Yet he never gave me any manure about art. He just made movies and that's what I do.”
“I don't go around shooting off my mouth about the problems of acting. In fact I don't even call myself an actor. I'm a re-actor.”
“- Rooster Cogburn: Why, by God, girl, that's a Colt's Dragoon! You're no bigger than a corn nubbin, what're you doing with all this pistol?
- Mattie Ross: It belonged to my father, he carried it bravely in the war, and I intend to kill Tom Chaney with it if the law fails to do so.
- Rooster Cogburn: Well, this'll sure get the job done if you can...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- The Ringo Kid: Look, Miss Dallas. You got no folks... neither have I. And, well, maybe I'm takin' a lot for granted, but... I watched you with that baby - that other woman's baby. You looked... well, well I still got a ranch across the border. There's a nice place - a real nice place... trees... grass... water. There's a cabin half built. A...” (continue)(continue reading)
“I never feel sorry for anything that happens to a woman.”
“Healthy, lusty sex is wonderful.”
“- Feathers: How does a... how does a man get to be a sheriff?
- John T. Chance: Gets lazy. Gets tired of selling his gun all over. Decides to sell it in one place.
- Feathers: I'd say you made a poor sale.
- John T. Chance: A lot of people around here'll agree with you.
- Feathers: But... it's still a sale and it's too late to back out.”
“- John T. Chance: You take chances, my friend.
- Carlos Robante: Because I know woman. If she will be mad or she will be sorry; if it is 'mad', she will be much pleasure to make right; and if she is 'sorry', it will be the same pleasure. You - you do not have women, so you do not know, senor. But me - Carlos Robante - I know.”
“- Feathers: I thought you were never going to say it.
- John T. Chance: Say what?
- Feathers: That you love me.
- John T. Chance: I said I'd arrest you.
- Feathers: It means the same thing, you know that.”
“- John T. Chance: Got any new men with you, Pat?
- Pat Wheeler: Nah, nobody 'cept Colorado, here.
- John T. Chance: Where'd you take him on?
- Pat Wheeler: Fort Worth.
- John T. Chance: What does he do?
- Colorado Ryan: I speak English, sheriff. If you wanna ask me.”
“- Ethan: A fella could mistake you for a half-breed.
- Martin: Not quite, I'm eighth Cherokee, the rest is Welsh and English. Least that's what they tell me.”
“- Brad: They gotta stop sometime. If they're human men at all, they gotta stop.
- Ethan: No, a human rides a horse until it dies, then he goes on afoot. A Comanche comes along, gets that horse up, rides him 20 more miles... and then he eats him.”
“- Reverend Clayton: I say we do it my way. That's an order!
- Ethan: Yessir. But if you're wrong don't ever give me another.”
“- Martin: I hope you die!
- Ethan: That'll be the day.”
“Figure a man's only good for one oath at a time; I took mine to the Confederate States of America.”
“The Sioux once raided into Apache territory. Old-timers told me you can follow the line of their retreat by the bones of their dead.”