John Wayne quotes
“Life is hard. It's even harder if you're stupid.”
“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”
“Tomorrow hopes that we have learned something from yesterday.”
“Si' down, si' down. That's what chairs are for.”
“- Thornton: If anybody had told me six months ago that today I'd be in a graveyard in Innisfree with a girl like you that I'm just about to kiss, I'd have told 'em...
- Mary Kate Danaher: Oh, but the kisses are a long way off yet!
- Thornton: Huh?
- Mary Kate Danaher: Well, we just started a-courtin', and next month, we, we start the walkin' out...” (continue)(continue reading)
“There'll be no locks or bolts between us, Mary Kate... except those in your own mercenary little heart!”
“Courage is when you’re scared to death, but you saddle up anyway.”
“John Ford isn't exactly a bum, is he? Yet he never gave me any manure about art. He just made movies and that's what I do.”
“I don't go around shooting off my mouth about the problems of acting. In fact I don't even call myself an actor. I'm a re-actor.”
“- Rooster Cogburn: Why, by God, girl, that's a Colt's Dragoon! You're no bigger than a corn nubbin, what're you doing with all this pistol?
- Mattie Ross: It belonged to my father, he carried it bravely in the war, and I intend to kill Tom Chaney with it if the law fails to do so.
- Rooster Cogburn: Well, this'll sure get the job done if you can...” (continue)(continue reading)
“I never feel sorry for anything that happens to a woman.”
“Healthy, lusty sex is wonderful.”
“- Ethan: A fella could mistake you for a half-breed.
- Martin: Not quite, I'm eighth Cherokee, the rest is Welsh and English. Least that's what they tell me.”
“- Brad: They gotta stop sometime. If they're human men at all, they gotta stop.
- Ethan: No, a human rides a horse until it dies, then he goes on afoot. A Comanche comes along, gets that horse up, rides him 20 more miles... and then he eats him.”
“- Reverend Clayton: I say we do it my way. That's an order!
- Ethan: Yessir. But if you're wrong don't ever give me another.”
“- Martin: I hope you die!
- Ethan: That'll be the day.”
“Figure a man's only good for one oath at a time; I took mine to the Confederate States of America.”
“The Sioux once raided into Apache territory. Old-timers told me you can follow the line of their retreat by the bones of their dead.”
“- Captain York: Were you born in Philadelphia?
- Philadelphia Thursday: No, Pomfret, Connecticut. I was named after my mother.
- Captain York: Oh, she was born in Philadelphia?
- Philadelphia Thursday: No, Pawtucket, Rhode Island. She was named after grandmother. Grandmother was the first Philadelphia in our family.
- 2nd Lt. Michael O'Rourke:...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Captain York: I'm Captain Yorke, sir. I bid you welcome, General Thursday.
- Lt. Col. Owen Thursday: I'm not a general, Captain. A man is what he's paid for. I'm paid in the rank of Lt. Colonel.
- Captain York: I'd remembered you as a general from the war, sir.”
“There's always been one boss on a picture, the director. I haven't always agreed with him, but I've paid attention.”
“I play John Wayne in every part regardless of the character, and I've been doing okay, haven't I?”