Bette Davis quotes
“Sex is God's joke on human beings.”
“Don't ask for the moon. We have the stars.”
“I do not regret one professional enemy I have made. Any actor who doesn't dare to make an enemy should get out of the business.”
“People often become actresses because of something they dislike about themselves: so they pretend they are someone else.”
“Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night!”
“If Hollywood didn't work out I was all prepared to be the best secretary in the world.”
“- Joan Winfield: Don't you get lonesome being here all alone?
- Pop Tolliver: No, I like people. Not seeing many of them keeps me liking them.”
“Dr. Jaquith says that tyranny is sometimes expression of the maternal instinct. If that's a mother's love, I want no part of it.”
“A sure way to lose happiness, I found, is to want it at the expense of everything else.”
“I'd marry again if I found a man who had 15 million and would sign over half of it to me before the marriage and guarantee he'd be dead within a year.”
“If you want a thing well done, get a couple of old broads to do it.”
“My passions were all gathered together like fingers that made a fist. Drive is considered aggression today; I knew it then as purpose.”
“With all my heart, I still love the man I killed.”
“Love is not enough. It must be the foundation, the cornerstone - but not the complete structure. It is much too pliable, too yielding.”
“I didn't want to be born. You didn't want me to be born. It's been a calamity on both sides.”
“I'll get you, even if I have to crawl back from the grave to do it!”
“- Jane: I don't understand?
- Edwin Flagg: They are trying to say I'm drunk.
- Police Officer: Oh, we just say that you're a little happy. Okay?
- Edwin Flagg: Whose happy? I'm not happy.”
“You can lose everything else, but, you can't lose your talent.”
“- Jane: I wonder if you can guess who I am?
- Edwin Flagg: Can you give me a hint?
- Jane: Well, its not really fair to make you guess. I'm - I'm Baby Jane Hudson.”
“- Jane: I'll bring in some tea. You like tea?
- Edwin Flagg: Oh, yes. I'm quite fond of tea. You must have guessed that I'm English.
- Jane: Oh, really? How nice for you.”
“- Lloyd Richards: There comes a time that a piano realizes that it has not written a concerto.
- Margo: And you, I take it, are the Paderewski who plays his concerto on me, the piano?”
“- Bill Simpson: You have every reason for happiness.
- Margo: Except happiness!”