“Harry's War” quotes(1981)
All actors – Edward Herrmann, Geraldine Page, Karen Grassle, David Ogden Stiers, Salome Jens, Elisha Cook Jr., James Ray, Douglas Dirkson, Jerrold Ziman, James MacKrell, Noble Willingham, Prentiss Roweshow all
“Harry's War” Quotes 11 quotes
- "Aunt" Beverly: The only way to get to a real court is to pay the money first.
- Harry Johnson: A hundred and ninety thousand dollars?
- "Aunt" Beverly: Then you have to sue the government to get it back.
- Harry Johnson: Well that doesn't seem right.
- "Aunt" Beverly: Well, the way things are and what's right are very seldom the same.
“Washington, and all of us, are gravely concerned over this growing contempt for taxes. Agents are herewith directed to discourage non-compliance through investigation, prosecution, and other statutory actions within our broad authority.”
“This whole damn system works on a bluff, you know that. Once it's blown, we go back to a constitutional government. And you'll be selling shoes.”
“Taxes are the lifeblood of this nation. Collecting taxes is a thankless job. As officers and agents of the Internal Revenue Service, we are more than just an arm of the government. We are the heart and hands of the United States Treasury. There are, however, an increasing number who willfully disregard their obligation, resist the payment of...” (continue)(continue reading)
“All that power in one place, boy. Hitler would have loved the IRS. So would Napoleon and Caesar, they'd understand it. I don't.”
“- Ernie: You're a fool, Johnson. I'm the United States Treasury, what are you?
- Harry Johnson: I'm...
- Ernie: You can't beat the United States government, Johnson. Not in a million years. The taxes will be paid. We'll get it one way, we get it another. But we will get it.”
“If all the people who ever tried to do anything to try to right some wrong had any idea how it would turn out, I don't think they'd ever begin.”
“I'm challenging the right of the IRS to destroy people, people like Beverly Paine. The God that gave us life gave us liberty at the same time. I think that most of you people will understand what I'm doing today. It's time to keep those liberties alive. I declare war on the IRS, and all the little men who have become their tyrants.”
“Look Johnson, people who ram their heads against a wall eventually die. Privilege of freedom I guess.”