“Scarlet Street” quotes(1945)
Plot – An upright bank teller, Christopher Cross, is tormented by his wife and has the hobby of painting. One day he meets a prostitute, Kitty, who also begins to exploit him when she discovers that his paintings can be sold at a good price. Christopher will end up on the street, haunted by a crime that the prostitute's pimp has unjustly been condemned for.
All actors – Edward G. Robinson, Joan Bennett, Dan Duryea, Margaret Lindsay, Rosalind Ivan, Jess Barker, Charles Kemper, Anita Sharp-Bolster, Samuel S. Hinds, Vladimir Sokoloff, Arthur Loft, Russell Hicks, Richard Abbott, John Barton, Rodney Bell, Richard Cramer, Dick Curtis, Tom Daly, Edgar Dearing, Henri DeSoto, Joe Devlin, Tom Dillon, Neal Dodd, Ralph Dunn, Fred Essler, Byron Foulger, Lance Fuller, Gus Glassmire, Arthur Gould-Porter, Sherry Hall, William Hall, Chuck Hamilton, Herbert Heywood, Boyd Irwin, Thomas E. Jackson, Edward Keane, Cy Kendall, Milton Kibbee, Fritz Leiber, Ralph Littlefield, George Lloyd, Lou Lubin, Robert Malcolm, George Meader, Howard M. Mitchell, Horace Murphy, Clarence Muse, Lee Phelps, Rose Plumer, Constance Purdy, Beatrice Roberts, Dewey Robinson, Syd Saylor, Wallace Scott, Jack Statham, Kerry Vaughn, Emmett Vogan, Dick Wessel, Matt Willis, Charles C. Wilson, Will Wrightshow all
“Scarlet Street” Quotes 9 quotes
“- Kitty March: You wouldn't know love if it hit you in the face.
- Millie Ray: If that's where it hits you, you ought to know!”
“- Kitty March: Why are looking at me? Is my face dirty?
- Christopher Cross: No, it's beautiful.
- Kitty March: I'll bet it is!”
“- Kitty March: Who do you think you are? My guardian angel?
- Millie Ray: Not me, honey. I lost those wings a long time ago.”
“- Christopher Cross: Hey, did you read this?
- Adele Cross: Read what?
- Christopher Cross: This murder in Queens. A man killed his wife with the window weight, put her body in the trunk, shipped her to California. It says here...
- Adele Cross: I've read the paper, thank you. He didn't get away with it, did he? He'll go to the chair, as he...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Kitty March: You know those art galleries on Fifth Avenue? The prices they charge! I saw one little picture that cost fifty-thousand dollars. They call it, uh, 'Seezan'.
- Christopher Cross: Cezanne? Oh, he was a great French painter. I'd like to own that painting.
- Kitty March: You would? For fifty-thousand dollars?
- Christopher Cross: You...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Adele Cross: Next thing you'll be painting women without clothes.
- Christopher Cross: I never saw a woman without any clothes.
- Adele Cross: I should hope not!”
“- Kitty March: How long does it take you to paint a picture?
- Christopher Cross: Sometimes a day, sometimes a year. You can't tell. It has to grow.
- Kitty March: I never knew paint could grow.
- Christopher Cross: Feeling grows. You know, that's the important thing, feeling. You take me. No one ever taught me how to draw, so I just put a line...” (continue)(continue reading)
“The way I think of things, that all art is. Every painting, if it's any good, is a love affair.”