Painting quotes93 painting quotes, film quotes, movie lines, taglines
“You're no general. You're not even a good painter.”
“Yeh, that's me taking the bull by the horns, it's how I like to run my business. It's a metaphor. But that actually happened though.”
“How would you compare Polanski or Kubrick? I try not to do any comparisons.”
“What am I in the eyes of most people - a nonentity, an eccentric, or an unpleasant person - somebody who has no position in society and will never have; in short, the lowest of the low. All right, then - even if that were absolutely true, then I should one day like to show by my work what such an eccentric, such a nobody, has in his heart.”
“Well, I don’t know who’s been raising you, but I’m going to get you some new crayons because it looks like he’s shooting cabbages.”
“To put what you see on paper is the same as funneling what you feel through yourself as a performer.”
“I took a course in art last winter. I learnt the difference between a fine oil painting, and a mechanical thing, like a photograph. The photograph shows only the reality. The painting shows not only the reality, but the dream behind it. It's our dreams, doctor, that carry us on. They separate us from the beasts. I wouldn't want to go on living...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Adele Cross: Next thing you'll be painting women without clothes.
- Christopher Cross: I never saw a woman without any clothes.
- Adele Cross: I should hope not!”
“- Kitty March: How long does it take you to paint a picture?
- Christopher Cross: Sometimes a day, sometimes a year. You can't tell. It has to grow.
- Kitty March: I never knew paint could grow.
- Christopher Cross: Feeling grows. You know, that's the important thing, feeling. You take me. No one ever taught me how to draw, so I just put a line...” (continue)(continue reading)
“The way I think of things, that all art is. Every painting, if it's any good, is a love affair.”
“Before you know it, the Renaissance will be here and we'll all be painting.”
“You paint something, and it's yours. It's your heart up on the wall.”
“Painted reality is its own reality.”
“- Vincent van Gogh: Paintings have to be done in one clear gesture.
- Paul Gauguin: Think about the surface that you're painting on and how the paint will sit on it. You're changing things so fast, you can't even see what you've done.
- Vincent van Gogh: Paintings have to be painted fast. The painters I like all paint fast in one clear gesture,...” (continue)(continue reading)
“I paint with my qualities and faults.”
“Seurat confounds painting with science. He's lost himself in optical experiments. There's nothing more to expect from Renoir, Degas, Monet. They repeat themselves. They've given everything they could give.”
“I paint, as a matter of fact, to stop thinking. I stop thinking, and I feel that I'm a part of everything outside and inside of me.”
“- Doctor Felix Ray: What do you paint?
- Vincent van Gogh: Sunlight.”
“Without painting, I don't think I can live.”
“I'd like to find a new light. A new light for paintings we haven't yet seen.”
“- Art Loving Woman: It's fascinating, isn't it? He has such... freedom.
- Tommy DeVito: Hmm. They should take it away.
- Art Loving Woman: The painting?
- Tommy DeVito: His freedom.”