“The Maltese Falcon” quotes(1941)
Plot – A beautiful girl hires a private investigator, Sam Spade, to conduct an inquiry. The policeman agrees and finds himself involved in a group of adventurers engaged in a relentless fight for the possession of an ancient "loot" of inestimable value.
All actors – Humphrey Bogart, Mary Astor, Gladys George, Peter Lorre, Barton MacLane, Lee Patrick, Sydney Greenstreet, Ward Bond, Jerome Cowan, Elisha Cook Jr., James Burke, Murray Alper, John Hamilton, Charles Drake, Chester Gan, Creighton Hale, Robert Homans, William Hopper, Walter Huston, Hank Mann, Jack Mower, Emory Parnellshow all
“The Maltese Falcon” Quotes 22 quotes
“If you lose a son, it's possible to get another. There's only one Maltese Falcon.”
“These are facts, sir. Not school book history, not Mr. Wells's history, but history nevertheless. They sent this foot-high jeweled bird to Charles, who was then in Spain. They sent it in a galley commanded by a member of the Order. It never reached Spain.”
“The Knights were profoundly grateful to the Emperor Charles for his generosity toward them. They hit upon the happy thought of sending him for the first year's tribute, not an insignificant live bird, but a glorious golden falcon, encrusted from head to feet with the finest jewels in their coffers.”
- Sam Spade: You won't need much of anybody's help. You're good. Chiefly your eyes, I think, and that throb you get in your voice when you say things like "Be generous, Mr. Spade".
- Brigid O'Shaughnessy: I deserve that. But the lie was in the way I said it, not at all in what I said. It's my own fault if you can't believe me now.
“You worry me. You always think you know what you're doing, but you're too slick for your own good. Some day you're going to find it out.”
“- Sam Spade: Haven't you tried to buy my loyalty with money and nothing else?
- Brigid O'Shaughnessy: What else is there I can buy you with?”
“When a man's partner is killed, he's supposed to do something about it. It doesn't make any difference what you thought of him. He was your partner and you're supposed to do something about it.”
“- Brigid O'Shaughnessy: You know down deep in your heart and in spite of anything I've done I love you.
- Samuel Spade: I don't care who loves who! I won't play the sap for you. I won't walk in Thursby's - and I don't know how many other's - footsteps. You killed Miles and you're going over for it.”
“- Detective Tom Polhaus: Heavy. What is it?
- Samuel Spade: The stuff that dreams are made of.”
“- Sam Spade: If you kill me, how are you going get the bird? And if I know you can't afford to kill me, how are you going to scare me into giving it to you?
- Kasper Gutman: There are other means of persuasion besides killing and threatening to kill.”
“I don't mind a reasonable amount of trouble.”
“I'm so tired, so tired of lying and making up lies, not knowing what is a lie and what's the truth.”