- Movie quotes
- A Passage to India
“A Passage to India” quotes
Title A Passage to India
All actors – Judy Davis, Victor Banerjee, Peggy Ashcroft, James Fox, Alec Guinness, Nigel Havers, Richard Wilson, Antonia Pemberton, Michael Culver, Art Malik, Saeed Jaffrey, Clive Swift
“- Das: Please, this is no way to defend your case!
- Ali: I am not defending a case - and you are not trying one! We are both slaves!
- Das: Mr. Mahmoud Ali, if you don't calm down, I will have to exercise my authority.
- Ali: Do so! This trial is a farce!”
“God has put us on earth to love and help our fellow men.”
“Life rarely gives us what we want at the moment we consider appropriate. Adventures do occur, but not punctually.”
“- Adela: I do so hate mysteries.
- Fielding: We English do.
- Mrs. Moore: I rather like mysteries - but I rather dislike muddles.
- Fielding: A mystery is only a high-sounding term for a muddle. Me and the professor know that India is a muddle.
- Godbole: Agreed, I am sorry to say.”
“He was dressed in his Sunday best, and his back collar stud was out. And there you have the Indian all over.”
- Godbole: Nothing you do will change the outcome.
- Fielding: So "do nothing"! Is that your philosophy?
- Godbole: My philosophy is you can do what you like... but the outcome will be the same.
“- McBryde: Before we begin, I'd like to state what I believe to be a universal truth: the darker races are attracted to the fairer, but not vice-versa.
- Amritrao: Even when the lady is less attractive than the gentleman?”
“- Aziz: You shouldn't walk alone, Mrs. Moore. There are bad characters about, and leopards may come down from the Marabar Hills - snakes also!
- Mrs. Moore: You walk alone.
- Aziz: I am used to it.
- Mrs. Moore: Used to snakes?
- Aziz: I'm a doctor - they dare not bite me!”
“Old people never take things as one expects.”
“When you think of crime, you think of English crime. The psychology's different here.”
“- Ali: How is Britain justified in holding India?
- Aziz: Unfair political question!”
“I believe Dr. Aziz is innocent. I will await the verdict of the jury. If he is found guilty, I will resign my post and leave India. I resign from the Club now!”