All actors – Jack Nicholson, Meryl Streep, Carroll Baker, Michael O'Keefe, Diane Venora, Fred Gwynne, Margaret Whitton, Tom Waits, Jake Dengel, Nathan Lane, James Gammon, Will Zahrnshow all
“Ironweed” Quotes 13 quotes
“You know, a great poet once said that love enters through the eyes. You must be very careful not to see too much.”
“By God, Helen, that's as good as it gets. You were born to be a star.”
“- Francis Phelan: She is a bum, or just a plain drunk?
- Rudy: She's been a bum all her life.
- Francis Phelan: No, nobody... 'been a bum all her life'. She had to be somethin' else before she was a bum.”
“- Francis Phelan: I don't think about it that much anymore. To tell you the truth, I'm over the hill.
- Rosskam: Over the hill? How old are you, 62?
- Francis Phelan: I'm not that old.
- Rosskam: 71 here. I don't go over no hills. Four, five times a night, I get it with the old woman, and in the daylight I go house to house, I get offers. I...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Rudy: What happened?
- Francis Phelan: He fell.
- Rudy: Fell where?
- Francis Phelan: On the floor.
- Rudy: Fell on the floor? I fall on the floor about twice a day. I ain't dead yet.”
“- Hooverville Resident: What did you say to my wife?
- Francis Phelan: I asked her where I could get a turkey.
- Hooverville Resident: What for?
- Francis Phelan: Well, my duck died.”
“- Rudy: You know why people call you a bum? Because it makes them feel better when they say it.
- Francis Phelan: Well, the truth can't hurt you. If you're a bum, you're a bum.”
“Doc says I got cancer. First thing I ever got.”