Plot – Miles, an aspiring novelist obsessed with wine who has never recovered from his divorce, decides to give his old college friend and failed actor Jack a trip through the vineyards of the Santa Ynez Valley the week before Jack's wedding. The two could not be worse matched. Jack is an incurable seducer and womanizer, Miles instead is chronically depressed and unshakably pessimistic. Jack is looking for his "last taste of freedom", while Miles is seeking perfection in a bottle. Jack could drink just any Merlot, Miles instead is looking for a Pinot of absolute perfection. As a matter of fact, the only thing that seems to unite them is the same mix of failed ambitions and declining youth.
All actors – Paul Giamatti, Thomas Haden Church, Virginia Madsen, Sandra Oh, Marylouise Burke, Jessica Hecht, Missy Doty, M.C. Gainey, Alysia Reiner, Shake Tukhmanyan, Shaun Duke, Robert Covarrubias, Patrick Gallagher, Stephanie Faracy, Joe Marinelli, Chris Burroughs, Toni Howard, Khoren Babouchian, Lee Brooks, Peter Dennis, Alison Herson, Phil Reeves, Rob Trow, Lacey Rae, Cesar Ramos, Daniel Rogers, Natalie Carter, Simon Kassis, Sevag Kendirjian, Jaren Coler, JR Garcia, Adolf Hitler, Alex Kalognomos, Logan Mulvey, Chris Petoyan, Parker Quinn, Mikael Sharafyanshow all
“Sideways” Quotes 18 quotes
“If anyone orders Merlot, I'm leaving. I am not drinking any fucking Merlot!”
“To open a bottle of '61 Cheval Blanc is enough reason to open a bottle of '61 Cheval Blanc.”
“- Miles: Hey, what should I wear?
- Jack: I don't know, something casual but nice. They think you're a writer.”
“- Jack: I might be in love with another woman.
- Miles Raymond: In love? Really? 24 hours with some wine-pourer chick and you're fucking in love?”
“Despite your crass behavior, I'm actually glad we're getting this time together.”
“Only somebody who really takes the time to understand Pinot's potential can then coax it into its fullest expression. Then, I mean, oh its flavors, they're just the most haunting and brilliant and thrilling and subtle and... ancient on the planet.”
“All I know is that I'm an actor. All I have is my instinct. You're asking me to go against it.”
“Try to be your normal, humorous self. The guy you were before the tailspin. Do you remember that guy? People love that guy.”
“- Mike Erganian: What is the subject of your book? Non fiction?
- Miles: Uh, no. It's... it's a novel. Fiction. Yes. Although there is quite a bit from my own life... so I suppose that, technically some of it is nonfiction.
- Mike Erganian: Good I like non fiction. There is so much to know about this world. I think you read something somebody...” (continue)(continue reading)
“Consult your doctor before using this product. Side effects may include oily discharge, hives, loss of appetite, low blood pressure. If you have diabetes or a history of kidney trouble, you're dead, asshole!”
“Don't you just want to feel that cozy little box grip down on your johnson?”
“- Miles: I'm not a writer, I'm a middle school English teacher. Well, the world doesn't give a shit what I have to say. I'm unnecessary. Ha! I'm so insignificant I can't even kill myself.
- Jack: Miles, what the hell is that supposed to mean?
- Miles: Come on, man. You know. Hemingway, Sexton, Plath, Woolf. You can't kill yourself before you're...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Maya: What's the title?
- Miles: The Day After Yesterday.
- Maya: Oh... You mean today?”
“- Jack: Are you still seeing that shrink?
- Miles: I saw him on Monday. I spent most of the time helping him with his computer.
- Jack: Well, I say, fuck therapy. And what is that stuff you take... Xanax?
- Miles: And Lexapro, yes.
- Jack: Well, I say, fuck that too. You need to get your joint worked on, Miles.”