Plot – In 1836 George Sand - pseudonym of Aurore Dupin, estranged wife of Baron Dudevant - lives with her children, Maurice and Solange. She is at the height of her carrier as a writer, spending her time between the family estate in Nohant and Paris, where the literary meetings gossip about her shockingly nonconformist attitudes and her many lovers. George escapes the poet Alfred de Musset, with whom she has had a stormy love affair, and she wants to break up with the crude and violent Mallefille, tutor to her children, but who does not intend to leave her. George is a close friend of Franz Liszt and his lover, the Countess Marie d'Augoult, who live together and have a child, but who often quarrel, because the woman feels neglected. One day at their house, the writer hears, without seeing, Frédéric Chopin playing one of his compositions and, charmed by his art, she wants to meet the Polish pianist, with whom she immediately falls in love.
All actors – Judy Davis, Hugh Grant, Mandy Patinkin, Bernadette Peters, Julian Sands, Ralph Brown, Georges Corraface, Anton Rodgers, Emma Thompson, Anna Massey, David Birkin, Nimer Rashedshow all
“Impromptu” Quotes 16 quotes
“- Felicien Mallefille: You promised to love me.
- George Sand: I didn't promise to succeed.”
- George Sand: Forgive me. I'm a fraud, you know. "Divine mystery"? I never experienced that with anyone! Always had disastrous relationships. And I never manage to stay in love.
- Frederic Chopin: What?
- George Sand: I don't know. I want too much... I think. Except when I hear you play... and when I'm around you. Look... I simply want to be... (continue)(continue reading)
“- Baroness Laginsky: I knew your father when he was young.
- George Sand: Really?
- Baroness Laginsky: Yes. We girls were enraged when we heard he'd married that dancer, or whatever she was.
- George Sand: You mean my mother?”
“- Frederic Chopin: I'm frightened.
- George Sand: Of me?
- Frederic Chopin: Certain acts are... unseemly. They are unsuitable.
- George Sand: Chopin... it's an act of love! It's the divine mystery itself!”
“Art does not apologize!”
“- George Sand: Chopin, do you love me?
- Frederic Chopin: God help me, I do. You are superb.”
“I used to think I'd die of suffocation when I was married. Now it's my freedom that's killing me.”
“I am not full of virtues and noble qualities. I love. That is all. But I love strongly, exclusively and steadfastly.”
“God exists but he's no longer loved so he hides away to conceal his broken heart.”
“He hasn't fallen in love with her, he has succumbed to her. Poor man was simply standing there - nobody warned him - and he was crushed under her wheels.”
“- Frederic Chopin: No, that's my fiancée. We're no longer engaged. Her family didn't feel that I was a very good risk for a husband. You know, no one really expects me to live very long.
- George Sand: Balls!
- Frederic Chopin: I beg your pardon?
- George Sand: I don't believe you're, you're ill at all. You just need more strength. Take mine....” (continue)(continue reading)
“You won't get him with a dress; on the contrary, my dear. I know the man. He is not a man; he is a woman. He is all emotion and refinement. He has very few defenses. You must win him as a man wins a woman; if anyone can do it, you can.”
“- George Sand: The style's a bit precious. Mind if I rewrite it?
- Alfred De Musset: Not at all. We'll have a horse sent in.”