Emma Thompson quotes
“It's a book about a man who doesn't know he's about to die and then dies. But if the man does know he's going to die and dies anyway, dies willingly, knowing he could stop it, then isn't that the type of man you want to keep alive?”
“- Agent O: You really think a black suit is going to solve all your problems?
- Agent M: No. But, looks damn good on you.”
“- Katherine Newbury: I can’t give you a raise, Gabe. It’s like giving a raise to a drug addict.
- Gabe Eichler: What?
- Katherine Newbury: Well, your situations are virtually identical. A drug addict makes certain decisions outside of work for their sense of self and comfort, and then the addiction demands more time, more energy, more money,...” (continue)(continue reading)
“People say a lot of things in anger. It is our choice whether or not to listen.
“- Sir Lionel Frost: Do you always answer with a question?
- The Elder: I don't know... do I?”
“- Sir Lionel Frost: How do you speak English so well?
- The Elder: How do you speak English so well?
- Sir Lionel Frost: Well...
- The Elder: How do you know I'm not speaking Yeti?”
“- Agent O: You’re a fan of the truth, aren’t you, Agent M?
- Agent M: I like it.
- Agent O: Mmm. I think we may have a problem in London.”
“Comedy is the three and a half minute chunks of filler on TV between the commercials you sell.”
“- Katherine Newbury: Walter, I have invested in precisely two things my entire life, you and this show. I won’t lose it now! I can’t!
- Walter Lovell: Then you have to fight again. Something you haven’t had to do for a long, long time. They want to replace you. But they can’t replace you if everyone loves you.”
“- Katherine Newbury: Bradley, I don’t hate women.
- Brad: I don’t think you think you hate women.
- Katherine Newbury: What does that mean?
- Brad: I think you might have a problem with women.
- Katherine Newbury: I love Mary Tyler Moore. I love Gilda Radner.
- Brad: They’re both dead. I think you have a problem with living female writers on...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Molly Patel: You love me.
- Katherine Newbury: No, I didn't say that.
- Molly Patel: I mean not in those exact words but...
- Katherine Newbury: No, I didn't say it in any of those words.”
“- Walt Disney: You look at me and you see some kind of Hollywood King Midas. You think I've built and empire and I want your Mary Poppins as just another brick in my kingdom.
- P.L. Travers: And don't you?
- Walt Disney: Now, if that's all it was, would I have suckered up to a stubborn, cranky dame like you for twenty years? No, I'd have saved...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Walt Disney: Please sit down.
- P.L. Travers: I shall not sit in the seat of a trickster! A fraudster! A sneak!
- Walt Disney: Mrs. Travers, what in the world has upset you so?
- P.L. Travers: Penguins have very much upset me! Animated, dancing penguins! Now, you have seduced me with the music, Mr. Disney, yes, you have. Those Sherman boys...” (continue)(continue reading)
“Where is Mr. Disney? I should so much like to get this started and finished as briskly as is humanly possible.”
“Doctor, I'd love to chat. Tea, cake, the whole shebang, but I have a ship to launch and... you've got your outfit to buff up.”
“I know what he's going to do to her. She'll be cavorting, and twinkling, careening towards a happy ending like a kamikaze.”
“Which doll shall we give Daisy's little friend Emily? The one that looks like a transvestite or the one that looks like a dominatrix?”
- Marianne: At least she can escape Fanny, which is more than any of us is able.
- Elinor Dashwood: You do your best. You've not said a word to her for a week.
- Marianne: I have. I've said "yes" and "no".
“- Captain Amelia: Mr. Arrow, I've checked this miserable ship from stem to stern and as usual it's spot on. Can you get nothing wrong?
- Mr. Arrow: You flatter me, Captain.”
“- Porter: Would you like me to unpack for you, ma'am?
- P.L. Travers: Young man, if it is your ambition to handle ladies' garments, may I suggest you take employment in a launderette?”