Plot – Baltimore, 1962. Tracy is a fat, funny and outgoing girl, while Penny is a thin, shy and oppressed one. They are fond of dancing and Tracy succeeds in a TV show, the "Corny Collins Show," and with her friend she manages to organize a big party in the name of racial integration despite the hostility of the conformists of the city.
All actors – Sonny Bono, Ruth Brown, Divine, Debbie Harry, Ricki Lake, Jerry Stiller, Vitamin C, Michael St. Gerard, Leslie Ann Powers, Clayton Prince, Mink Stole, Shawn Thompsonshow all
“Hairspray” Quotes 30 quotes
“Oh, Mother you're so fifties.”
“Oh my God! There's colored people in my house! I'm going to make a citizen's arrest!”
“It's the times. They are a changing. Something's blowing in the wind. Fetch me my diet pills, would you, hon?”
“- Tracy Turnblad: How do you get your hair so straight and so flat?
- Beatnik Chick: With an iron, man. I play my bongos, listen to Odetta, and then I iron my hair. Dig?”
“- Velma Van Tussle: That fat girl's no competition.
- Franklin von Tussle: White trash. Pure and simple.”
“Ma, it's changing out there! You'll like it. People who are different, their time is coming!”
“Detroit sound? What’s that, the cries of people being mugged?”
“- Tracy Turnblad: I'm an integrationist. We shall overcome someday.
- Beatnik Chick: Not with that hair, you won't.”
“Penny Pingleton, you know you are punished. From now on you're wearing a giant P on your blouse every day to school so that the whole world knows that Penny Pingleton is permanently, positively, punished.”
“- Motormouth Maybelle: Oh Papa Tooney. We've got a Looney.
- Prudence Pingleton: Don't you try to cast one of your voodoo spells on me, native woman.”
“- Tracy Turnblad: Oh, Link I wish I had dark skin.
- Link Larkin: Tracy, our souls are black, though our skin is white.”
“- Edna Turnblad: Tracy, I have told you about that hair. All ratted up like a teenage Jezebel!
- Penny Pingleton: Tracy's flamboyant flip is all the rage, Ms. Edna. Jackie Kennedy, our First Lady, even rats her hair.
- Edna Turnblad: But Tracy ain't no First Lady. Are your Tracy? No siree. She's a hair hopper, that's what she is!”
“I could do a fan dance with a lettuce leaf and you would remain completely obtuse!”
“I watch that tramp and I'm embarrassed to be white.”