Maggie Smith quotes
“Often press people ask questions that are so personal that even your nearest and dearest wouldn't ask them.”
“There's a difference between solitude and loneliness.”
“Royal women are not meant to grin like Cheshire cats.”
“The point is, I'll be fine until I'm not. That's all that is to it.”
“Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.”
“- Isobel Merton: Oh Violet. After all these years you still astonish me.
- Violet Crawley: Oh good, I'm glad I'm a revelation and not a disappointment.”
“- Violet Crawley: Will you have enough clichés to get you through the visit?
- Isobel Merton: If not, I'll come to you.”
“- Violet Crawley: Machiavelli is frequently underrated. He had many qualities.
- Isobel Merton: So did Caligula - not all of them charming.”
“- Robert Crawley, Earl of Grantham: Let's not argue.
- Violet Crawley: I never argue, I explain.”
“- Constance: Could you imagine someone being hanged because of something I said?
- Mary Maceachran: I know. And what purpose could it possibly serve?”
“We all have our little foibles, and mine is the prompt settling of accounts.”
“Flowers? What do I want with flowers? They... They only die. I've got enough on my plate without flowers.”
“I came with low expectations and I was disappointed.”
“- Sonny: What should I do?
- Mrs. Donnelly: That’s for you to decide.
- Sonny: Why won’t you tell me?
- Mrs. Donnelly: So you’ll know what to do after I’m gone.”
“- Evelyn Greenslade: How was America?
- Muriel Donnelly: It made death more tempting.”
“Don't try and control it. Let go. That's when the fun starts.”
“The time to make up your mind about people is never.”
“- Evelyn Greenslade: I don't know why I tell you anything.
- Muriel Donnelly: Because I'm older and wiser.
- Evelyn Greenslade: Nineteen days older.
- Muriel Donnelly: That's the entire lifespan of a wasp.”
“- Market Trader: Isn't it an especially lovely day sweetheart?
- Miss Shepherd: Don't sweetheart me! I'm a sick woman. Dying possibly!
- Market Trader: Chin up love. We all got to go sometime ... [under his breath] Smells like you already have.”
“Playing came easier than praying.”
“- Diana Barrie: Don't close your eyes, Sidney.
- Sidney Cochran: I always close my eyes.
- Diana Barrie: Not tonight. Look at me tonight. Let it be me tonight.”