- Movie quotes
- The Conspirator
“The Conspirator” quotes
Title The Conspirator
All actors – James McAvoy, Robin Wright, Kevin Kline, Evan Rachel Wood, Tom Wilkinson, Justin Long, Danny Huston, James Badge Dale, Colm Meaney, Alexis Bledel, Johnny Simmons, Toby Kebbell
- Joseph Holt: Inter arma, silent leges. "In times of war, the law falls silent".
- Frederick Aiken: It shouldn't.
“- Mary Surratt: My husband died a drunk, Mr. Aiken, and left me loads of debt. I had to support my family, so I rented rooms to boarders. Those men were customers, nothing more.
- Frederick Aiken: And you never considered their allegiances?
- Mary Surratt: I didn't ask about their allegiances.”
“- Edwin Stanton: When you first learned that our secretary of State has been butchered to within an inch of his life, and that they put a bullet in the back of our president's head, when this city was in chaos, do you not wish to see order restored and justice served, or were you just concerned with the rights of the assassins?
- Frederick Aiken...” (continue)
“- Mary Surratt: I'm a Southerner. I'm a Catholic and a devoted mother above all else. But I am no assassin.
- Frederick Aiken: Your freedom is gonna require greater assurances than that.”
“For the lawyer as well as the soldier, there is an equally imperative command. That duty is to shelter from injustice the innocent, to protect the weak from oppression, and when necessity demands, to rally to the defense of those being wronged.”
“- Justice Wylie: You believe she's innocent?
- Frederick Aiken: I don't know. But if we don't get a proper trial, we never will.”
“One bullet killed our beloved president. One bullet but not one man!”
“- Frederick Aiken: Why did I fight for the Union if my rights aren't assured? You tell me.
- Edwin Stanton: Fine words for rallying the troops, not for running a nation. They assassinated our president, and someone must be held accountable. The people want that.”