Tom Wilkinson quotes
“Michael, I have great affection for you and you live a very rich and interesting life, but you're a bag man not an attorney. If your intention was to have me committed you should have kept me in Wisconsin where the arrest report, the videotape, eyewitness reports of my inappropriate behavior would have had jurisdictional relevance.”
“- Philip Henslowe: Mr. Fennyman, allow me to explain about the theatre business. The natural condition is one of insurmountable obstacles on the road to imminent disaster.
- Hugh Fennyman: So what do we do?
- Philip Henslowe: Nothing. Strangely enough, it all turns out well.
- Hugh Fennyman: How?
- Philip Henslowe: I don't know. It's a mystery.”
“- General Friedrich Fromm: What is it you want?
- General Friedrich Olbricht: I wanted to introduce our new man, Colonel Stauffenberg.
- General Friedrich Fromm: Ah! From Africa. Well, I'd offer you my hand, but I might not get it back.”
“- Martin Luther King Jr.: We need your involvement here, Mr. President. We deserve your help as citizens of this country. Citizens under attack.
- President Lyndon B. Johnson: Now, you listen to me. You listen to me. You're an activist. I'm a politician. You got one big issue. I got a hundred and one.”
- Gen. Lord Charles Cornwallis: Their names and ranks?
- Benjamin Martin: They refuse to give me their names, but the ranks are nine lieutenants, five captains, three majors, and one very fat colonel who called me a... "cheeky fellow".
“Fish and guests stink after three days.”
“People think the writer's imagination is always at work, that he's constantly inventing an endless supply of incidents and episodes; that he simply dreams up his stories out of thin air. In point of fact, the opposite is true. Once the public knows you're a writer, they bring the characters and events to you. And as long as you maintain your...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Timothy McWinters: If we close this deal, I want to make love to a woman, wheelbarrow position.
- Mike Pancake: How is it a wheelbarrow?
- Timothy McWinters: One person's legs is being held up...
- Mike Pancake: Does that feel good?
- Pretty German Girl: No.”
“It is no small thing to build a new world, gentlemen. We have our republic. We must endeavour to keep it, if we can.”
“- Gerald: Fat, David, is a feminist issue.
- Dave: Well, what's that supposed to mean?
- Gerald: I don't bloody know, do I? But it is.”
“- Gov. George Wallace: Mr. President, malcontents are disrupting Alabama and it's your responsibility to stop them.
- President Lyndon B. Johnson: They're protesting about the right to vote and the way they're treated in your state, so that's your problem and it's your responsibility and it's on your watch.”
“Are you trying to shit me, George Wallace? Are you trying to fuck over your president?”
“I'll be damned to let history put me in the same place as the likes of you.”
“When you're an actor you don't really know what you have to do until you see what you look like.”
“You can't do things for money. You just can't act them. There's gotta be something about the script that you really want to do.”
“If the script is telling the story well, that is your inspiration, and you do not need to go somewhere else.”
“One of the characteristics of plays that are made into films is that they can be very talky.”
“All good actors are easy to work with. It's the ones that aren't very good who tend to be very difficult.”
“- Henry: She deserves better than him.
- Rudy Holt: Now you're talking.
- Henry: Better than me, too.
- Rudy Holt: Yeah, but she doesn't know that yet.”
“You cannot protect the nation by attacking the right of every man to speak freely without fear.”
“- Henry: You'll be fine. We'll both be fine Rudy.
- Rudy Holt: That's life Henry.
- Henry: Yep.”
“Once you've looked into the darkness, I think you carry it with you for the rest of your life.”
“Do you wanna know why our son is dead? He went there not because of me. He went there because of you. Because you are so controlling, so overbearing, so angry. Ever since he was little, you were telling him how he was wrong. I remember, one time you yanked him out of a little league game and sent him home, for throwing his glove in the dirt. He...” (continue)(continue reading)